Vienna International Summer School
Closely linked to the IBA (Internationale Bauausstellung), the ResearchLab New Social Housing aims to create a context that enriches institutional networking and interdisciplinary cooperation, a stronger basic-research orientation, and international visibility. Over and above the theoretical/scientific discourse, it will stimulate and advance the general discussion about the future of social housing. The ResearchLab New Social Housing is organised in the form of annual summer schools with the active integration of internationally renowned scholars. The summer schools will take place annually in the years from 2018 to 2022 in Vienna within the framework of the IBA. Selected results will be exhibited as part of the concluding presentation of the IBA_Wien in 2022 and in an international conference.
Application and Selection procedure
- a description of their research/dissertation project (max. 2 pages)
- a CV (max. 1 page)
Formats of the Vienna International Summer School
The VIENNA INTERNATIONAL SUMMER SCHOOL “TRANSFORMATIONS OF LARGE SCALE HOUSING” offers an opportunity for inter- and transdisciplinary exchange for all participants. The programme of the Summer School includes the following formats:
- CLASSROOM SESSIONS: the research projects of the participants will be presented and put up for discussion among peers and faculty members. The aim is to reflect, refine and deepen one’s own work and research approach with peers and internationally renowned scholars from different disciplines and universities.
- METHODOLOGICAL WORKSHOPS: various methodological approaches to housing research, such as housing biographies, housing statistics and socio-spatial analysis to participatory methods at the interface between research and community work will be examined in more detail along with the prospects of mixed designs.
- FIELD STUDIES: on-site workshops with stakeholders, local actors and practitioners offer insights into the transformation of post-war social housing in Vienna.
- LECTURES: public lectures and panel discussions by and with members of the international faculty on current questions of housing research.