RISE has announced twenty (20) research positions
The Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart System and Emerging Technologies (RISE), announces twenty (20) full-time equivalent (part-time/full-time) positions for junior researchers under various Multidisciplinary Research Groups (MRGs). RISE is an equal opportunity employer. The positions are open to everyone, internationally. Applicants outside the EU may require a working VISA for Cyprus.
RISE is a newly founded research centre in Cyprus aiming to become a centre of excellence empowering knowledge and technology transfer in the region. It is a joint venture between the Municipality of Nicosia, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics (Germany), the University College London (UK) and the three public universities of Cyprus - University of Cyprus, Cyprus University of Technology, and Open University of Cyprus. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners and other sponsors.
The research focus of RISE is on interactive media. Interactive media have become an integral part of our lives, changing the way that information is conveyed to the user and the ways users interact with devices, with other people, and with the world around them. Research in RISE integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. RISE is designed to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fuelling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe.
There are two (2) full-time equivalent (part-time/full-time) research positions for each of the following MRGs:
- Cognitive and Clinical Applications MRG
Research focus on the development and validation of Virtual Reality and mobile applications for cognitive training and clinical interventions
- Interactive Media and Education/Edutainment MRG
Research focus on multimodal interaction and learning, emerging technologies for learning and entertainment/ edutainment, learning theory
- Museums and Difficult Heritage MRG
Research focus on museum studies, with an emphasis on difficult heritage, conflict, interactive media, citizen science and socially engaged practices
- Real-time Populated Virtual Environments MRG
Research focus on computer graphics - animation and simulation of virtual humans, as well as modelling and simulation of 3D built environments
- Smart Networked Systems MRG
Research focus on computer networks, protocols for IoT and multimedia communications, 5G technologies, security, Edge/Fog and mobile cloud computing, and Smart City applications
- Smart Human-centred Technologies MRG
Research focus on developing novel and applied techniques driven by the need to improve the quality of life of humans.
- Smart, Ubiquitous, and Participatory Technologies for Healthcare Innovation MRG
Research focus on the smart, ubiquitous, and participatory technologies for healthcare innovation
- Socially-Competent Agent Technologies MRG
Research focus on machine learning, computational learning theory, natural language processing and generation, story comprehension, symbolic knowledge representation, commonsense reasoning, formal argumentation, cognitive computing, explainable AI.
- Transparency in Algorithms MRG
Research focus on algorithmic accountability and transparency, human biases in algorithms, user-algorithm feedback loops
- Virtual Reality for Well-being MRG
Research focus on Virtual Reality for well-being/ rehabilitation by exploring the fields of brain plasticity, social neuroscience and social psychology.
Candidates who might be interested in more than one MRGs must clearly state their priority preference in their application.
The positions are on a contract basis. Initially, a one-year contract will be offered and this is renewable for up to three (3) years based on performance. The monthly salary depends on the candidate’s qualifications and expertise and will be between €1200 - €2000 gross salary for holders of Bachelor's degree and/or postgraduate degree and between €1800-€3000 gross salary for PhD holders. The positions do not include medical insurance coverage. Maternity leave will be granted based on Social Insurance Laws from 1980 until 2012.
- Bachelor's degree and/or postgraduate degree in a relevant field (e.g. Interactive Media, Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Neuroscience, Psychology, Digital Sociology, Museum Studies, Educational Technology, Information Technology, Design, Human Computer Interaction, Physics, Mathematics) from an accredited institution
- Excellent knowledge of both spoken and written English language
- Previous research experience and high impact research publications will be considered an advantage
- Previous relevant industrial experience will be considered an advantage
- Previous grant-writing experience will be considered an advantage
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidates will have the opportunity to conduct fundamental and/or applied research in the aforementioned areas. Where applicable, candidates might also participate in the preparation of project reports and deliverables, research proposals for funding, software development, and travel abroad for dissemination activities. Furthermore, successful candidates will be encouraged to publish/present their research results in prestigious international conferences and journals.
Interested candidates should submit the following items online
- Cover letter which clearly specifies (i) employment availability date, (ii) part-time or full time availability, and (iii) MRG(s) of interest in order of priority.
- A detailed curriculum vitae in English
- Copies of transcripts of BSc/MSc/PhD degree(s)
- Description of their academic and research experiences as well as any relevant industrial experience, where applicable (500 words maximum)
- Reference letters either from two University professors or from one University professor and one industry person.
- Two (2) representative publications (if applicable)
- Contact details (required fields for submission)
The call will remain open and applications received after this date will be reviewed on a rolling basis, till positions are filled.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.