Study Opportunity for Graduate Students at GS PoL
The University of Münster offers an exceptionally wide range of subjects and combinations of subjects. There are about 120 different courses of study. Positions for graduate students for Practice of Literature are available each semester. Applications for regular membership are accepted for both winter and summer terms each year.
The following three areas are to be emphasized in the individual doctoral dissertations:
- Literature and Society (The relationship between Literary Studies, Social Theories, Cultural Theories and Studies, and Literature)
- Theories of Literature (Philosophy of Science, History and Theory of Literature, Literary Theories)
- Putting the Study of Literature into Practice
(Occupationally-oriented areas that apply Literary Studies, the literary marketplace, key qualifications, the relationship between Literary Theory and professional practice)
A qualifying degree (Master/Magister/Staatsexamen with a minimum grade of “gut”/B);
in exceptional cases: a bachelor’s degree with a minimum grade of “sehr gut”/A; language skills
Applications to the Graduate School must be submitted in written form (in German or English; preferably via email as one PDF file) and should include:
- letter of motivation giving reasons for the application at GS PoL
- proof that the applicant has completed a qualifying degree (usually a master's degree in literary studies) with a grade of 2,0 (B) or better; proof of language skills according to appendix A (Anhang A) of the study regulations.
- curriculum vitae (without photograph)
- a brief (approx. half-page) abstract of the dissertation project
- a project proposal of about 10 pages in length, including a title, table of contents, abstract, detailed outline (of the topic, its originality and significance, aims and methodology), as well as a work and time schedule and a bibliography
- two letters of recommendation; if the applicant holds a bachelor’s degree or has completed a first course of studies with a regular duration of less than eight semesters, three references must be submitted
Scholarships for international PhD Students
The Graduate School Practices of Literature is admitted into the Graduate School Scholarship Programme (GSSP) of the DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst). In the framework of the GSSP, two scholarships are awarded to international PhD-students working in the field of literary studies.
Funding for non-international students
For non-international students the Graduate School Practices of Literature doesn't offer any scholarships at the moment. If you would like to participate in its structured doctoral programme, you are expected to find a way of funding your studies on your own. Some public foundations offer PhD-scholarships. Looking for a scholarship and applying for the Graduate school can be done at the same time. After your admission to the GS PoL we will try to give you any support you might need in your 'quest' for funding.
Each doctoral candidate will have an individual, interdisciplinary support group consisting of three members. A written agreement regarding the mentoring will be made and an individual work and time schedule will be established. The respective professors will assist in applying for scholarships.
For Further Information Click "Link to Original" below.