THE INSTITUTE OF TURKISH STUDIES 2018-2019 ACADEMIC YEAR GRANT PROGRAM
The Institute of Turkish Studies (ITS) is a non-profit, private educational institution devoted solely to the advancement of training, research, and teaching in the field of Ottoman and modern Turkish Studies. ITS was established in 1983 and is currently located at the School of Foreign Service of Georgetown University in Washington, DC. The Institute is governed by a twelve-member Board of Governors whose members include prominent US scholars in Ottoman and modern Turkish Studies, and others with a demonstrated interest in Turkey.
These grants are intended to provide partial support for travel and research to Turkey for those who hold a Ph.D. in a social sciences or humanities discipline. To be eligible, applicants must be U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents, and must currently work in the U.S. Furthermore, applicants must have received their Ph.D. within the last five years (March 2013). Individuals who obtained their Ph.D. prior to March 2013 are not eligible to apply.
TERMS OF GRANT
Recipients of Summer Travel/Research Grants are expected to spend a minimum of four weeks in Turkey. Grant recipients will be reimbursed for round-trip economy airfare to Turkey, which must be documented and submitted to ITS following completion of the trip. ITS will reimburse the grant recipient to the dollar amount outlined in the receipt. The grant must be utilized during the academic year in which it is awarded and funds cannot be rolled over
All grant applications are reviewed by expert panels drawn from the Institute's Associates who are prominent scholars working in the field of Turkish Studies. The Institute's Board of Governors makes the final decisions on awards upon the recommendations of the academic expert panelists. Decisions regarding the outcome of applications is intended to be announced by May 9, 2018. ITS cannot provide reviewers' comments or any other information about proposals which do not receive funding.
A complete application must include all of the following materials:
1. The two-page Grant Application Cover Sheet (click to the "Link to Original" below), to be completed in full.
2. Project Proposal. Provide a statement (maximum 5 pages, double-spaced) that outlines:
- the scope and duration of the project
- its intended contribution to your personal intellectual and academic progress
- its importance for the field of Turkish Studies
3. Budget. Clearly state the amount requested from ITS in your budget. Due to limited funds, no university overhead costs may be paid through ITS grants. If you are applying for funds from other sources (ARIT, SSRC, etc.) and/or matching university fellowships, you must provide information about these in your budget statement.
4. Letters of Recommendation. All grant applicants must provide three letters of recommendation from referees familiar with their work. Letters of reference should speak specifically to the applicant’s proposed project as well as to the applicant’s qualifications for undertaking this particular project. Letters of recommendation MUST be sealed in envelopes by their respective referees and then placed inside the complete application packet by the applicant. Letters of reference mailed separately WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
5. Curriculum Vitae. A current CV is required from all applicants.
PLEASE TAKE CAREFUL NOTE OF APPLICATION PROCEDURES: All applications MUST BE RECEIVED as a single, complete package by 5pm Eastern Standard Time on March 30, 2018. Application packages must be sent via United Parcel Service (UPS) secure courier to:
Institute of Turkish Studies
3300 Whitehaven St NW,
Suite 3100 Georgetown University,
WASHINGTON DC, DC 20007
Incomplete and/or late applications WILL NOT be considered
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.