Master's Programme in Russian Studies, Master of Arts
Upon completion of the Master´s Programme in Russian Studies, you will have acquired in-depth knowledge of Russia’s past and present and developed Russia-related expertise for use in your future career. You will be able to recognise changes in your field of expertise, adjust your skills to these changes, and update your knowledge and skills independently.
Your expertise will give you a solid background in critical thinking and provide you with the readiness to face challenges in diverse professional environments. For instance, you can continue on to a career in government and education, or find employment in the media, the business world or in the service of non-governmental organisations.
Your studies will be conducted by the scholars of Aleksanteri Institute and other units of university of Helsinki, who have solid teaching experience and broad research credentials. Aleksanteri Institute at the University of Helsinki is the largest and best-known research institute for Russian studies in Europe. Based on the scholars’ experience in innovative approaches to area studies, the programme focuses on developing critical thinking and analytical skills in a global environment of increasing digitalization and complex social change.
Citizens of non-EU/EEA countries, who do not have a permanent residence status in the area and pursue their studies in English, are liable to pay tuition fees. You can check from FAQ at the Studyinfo website whether or not you are required to pay tuition fees.
The Master´s Programme in Russian Studies at the University of Helsinki promotes an understanding of Russia as a vital member of global and local communities and an important and powerful player today. There will be a continuing need in the future for expertise in Russian culture, politics, and society in a variety of fields in national and international arenas.
As a student of Russian Studies, you will learn to write essays and learning diaries and practice problem-solving learning. Your education will include attending lectures, participation in group work and workshops/seminars, and examinations.
In the Master’s studies programme, you will
- Have the opportunity to acquire expertise in Russia for use in many fields that require knowledge of Russia, its culture and institutions
- Have the opportunity to study basic Russian language courses if you have no prior skills in Russian
- Have the opportunity to make short excursion(s)
- Have the opportunity to participate in on-going research projects and create new ones
- Strengthen your understanding of theory, and work on your academic writing skills
- Participate in the Master’s thesis seminar, during which you will write your Master’s thesis and learn about career opportunities with Russia experts from different scientific fields
The scope of the Master of Arts degree is 120 credits (ECTS).
The degree contains the following studies:
- Obligatory study units (75 credits) (discipline-specific advanced studies)
- Optional study units (15 credits)
- Master´s thesis 30 credits
The program, with full-time studies, is designed to lead to an MA degree in two years.
In your Master’s studies, you focus mainly on discipline-specific advanced studies. During this stage, you deepen your knowledge of your chosen field through both studies and writing your Master’s thesis.
You complete their studies systematically. At the beginning of your Master’s studies, you prepare your first personal study plan (PSP) with support especially from the academic staff.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.