Apply to PhD in Economics
Admission to the CERGE-EI PhD program is highly selective. The program seeks to admit students who demonstrate a high level of academic ability, and exhibit the motivation to develop into top quality researchers. The admission committee carefully evaluates each applicant’s academic credentials as evidenced especially by prior courses taken, grades earned, academic references, and the rigor of the institutions attended.
The application deadline is the 31 of March (23:59 Central European Summer Time). There is no application fee.
- Any individual from any country is welcome to submit an application.
- CERGE-EI does not discriminate on the basis of nationality, race, gender, or religion.
- There is no application fee.
- Strong background in mathematics is an advantage.
- Sufficient proficiency in English to read, write and fully understand PhD-level study material is necessary.
- Previous education in economics is welcomed, but not required.
- A Master's degree or equivalent that can be recognized in the Czech Republic (or the expectation of completing a Master's degree by June of the year for which you are applying). Strong students with a Bachelor's Degree may also apply directly to the PhD program. However, for legal reasons they cannot take full advantage of PhD student status.
All application materials, including letters of recommendation, must be submitted through our online application form or delivered in paper form, by the deadline of 31 March (23:59 Central European Summer Time).
The following materials are required for an application to be processed. All materials must be submitted in English or accompanied by an English translation.
- Online Application Form
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of motivation: please submit a 1000-2000 word statement in English describing your academic and research background, your interests and career goals, and how the program at CERGE-EI will help you meet your objectives. Please see the Statement of Motivation Guidelines
- Verified copies of your Bachelor and Master diplomas and transcripts (diploma supplement) with certified translations into English if needed (if the original document is in another language). Please see the Guidelines for Verification of Diplomas and Transcripts for details. You will have to present these documents in paper form in case you are invited to the Preparatory semester or directly admitted (upon your arrival to CERGE-EI). Applicants who will be completing their Master studies or will receive their Master diploma only after our application deadline must submit confirmation of studies from their current university and their current transcripts.
- Contact details for two (or max. three) referees. Their letters of recommendation must be submitted using the reference page in the on-line application or sent in a sealed envelope with the recommenders’ signature across the envelope. Referees must be familiar with your academic background described in the online application form. Please see the Recommendation Letters Guidelines.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit other relevant documents that may support their application, such as additional study records, certificates, etc
- Applicants are also encouraged to submit TOEFL (Institutional Code 2403), IELTS or other certified English language exam score, as well as GRE (or other proficiency test) scores.
All materials must be either uploaded through the Online Application Form or delivered in hard copy. Materials sent by email are not accepted.
Mailing address for delivery of the application materials in hard copy:
PhD in Economics
P.O. Box 882, Politických vězňů 7
111 21 Prague 1, Czech Republic
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.