INSTITUTE FOR CULTURE AND SOCIETY
The University of Western Sydney’s newly-formed Institute for Culture and Society (which incorporates the Centre for Cultural Research) invites applications for PhD Scholarships.
About the Project
The ICS (Institute for Culture & Society) encourages theoretically-directed empirical research on the transformations in culture and society in the global era. The Institute is home to a number of internationally renowned scholars, contributing to the University of Western Sydney receiving the highest ranking for research quality—well above world standard—in Cultural Studies (Excellence in Research for Australia 2010).
Headed by Director, Distinguished Professor Ien Ang, and Research Director, Professor Tony Bennett, the ICS is especially interested in projects in the following areas:
• Cities and Urban Cultures
• Intercultural Dialogue and Transnational Culture
• Institutions, Governance and Citizenship
• Cultural Economy and Globalisation
• Heritage, Environment and Society
• Digital Research and Cultural Transformation
• Australian Cultural Fields
• Culture and Education
Candidates with backgrounds in cultural studies, sociology, anthropology, human geography, cultural history, media and communication studies, Asian studies and other disciplines are encouraged to apply. International applications are welcome.
• Good Bachelor Honours degree (Class 1 or 2.1), or equivalent qualifications and/or experience
• Research or professional experience in a relevant field of humanities or social science
What does the scholarship provide?
Tax-free stipend of AUD33,728 per annum (with an increase for 2013) and a funded place in the doctoral degree.
Need more information?
• To discuss a project please contact Associate Professor Gregory Noble:email@example.com
• Contact the Research Scholarships Development Officer, Ms Tracy Mills to discuss enrolment and scholarships: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Find out more about the research being undertaken in ICS athttp://www.uws.edu.au/ics
How to apply
• Submit an application form, research proposal and CV by the closing date. The application form can be downloaded from the web:www.uws.edu.au/research/scholarships