You can now submit entries for the Wisden – MCC Cricket Photograph of the Year competition.
The Wisden – MCC Cricket Photograph of the Year competition was launched in 2010.
It is open to all photographers – amateur and professional – from across the world with the only stipulations that entries must have been taken during the year of the competition and in some respect have a cricket theme.
The winner and two runners-up are featured in the colour photo section of the Wisden Cricketers' Almanack, and since 2012 the eleven shortlisted photos have been displayed at Lord's during the following season.
How to enter
- Each entrant may submit up to three different photographs taken between January 1 and December 31 2016 via the online entry form below.
- Each image must be submitted individually.
- Each image is limited to 2MB.
- Full caption details must also be supplied for each photograph, including the location and date on which it was taken.
- The competition is open for entries from Friday 28 October 2016 and the closing date is 6 January 2017 (23:59 GMT).
Shortlist & Prizes
A shortlist of eleven entries will initially be chosen, from which a winner and two runners-up will be announced. First prize will be awarded £2000, two runners-up will each receive £1000, and the eight other shortlisted entries will get £250 each.
In addition to the cash prizes, the top three photographs will feature in the 2017 Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack, and all of the shortlisted entries will be exhibited at Lord’s throughout next year. The top three will also receive their own copy of the Wisden Almanack.
All photographs entered must have been taken in the calendar year 2016 and should demonstrate the skill and artistry of the photographer. Images can be from anywhere in the world, and there is no restriction on subject matter as long as it has a cricket theme. Action shots, landscapes, portraits, images of dramatic or aesthetic appeal - all are equally welcome. All photographs entered must be free of any third party restrictions regarding use.
Files should be submitted as SURNAME and _1, _2 or _3 e.g. SMITH_1 Full caption details must be supplied via the online form and include the location and date on which the picture was taken. Please ensure that included in the EXIF file information are the technical details such camera used, lens, exposure, shutter speed etc.
Each entrant may submit up to three different pictures taken between January 1 and December 31 2016.
The closing date for entries is Friday 6 January 2017 (23.59 GMT).
- The prize for the winning photograph is £2000 and a copy of Wisden 2017
- Two runners-up will each receive £1000 and a copy of Wisden 2017
- Eight other shortlisted entries will each receive £250.
- The top three winning photographs will be reproduced as the first three images in the colour section of the 2017 Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack, and each of the eleven shortlisted entries will be exhibited at Lord’s during the 2017 season.
Format: Images must have been taken at a sufficiently high resolution and should be submitted as JPEGs at 300dpi with no interpolation applied. No tiffs, bitmap or raw images will be accepted.
- Calibration and colour: Images must be colour profiled/corrected before submission. Allowances will NOT be made for poor colour profiling/correction. Please ensure your images are not over saturated and faithfully represent the subject matter.
- Adjusting your image: The faithful representation of what was captured at the time of the shot being taken must be maintained. Digital adjustments are only acceptable if limited to minor cleaning work (removing dust spots), levels, curves, colour, saturation and contrast work. Sharpening and minimal cropping is allowed. Compositing, sandwich shots and double exposures are not permitted. Adding or removing distractions, items, people etc into/from the image is not allowed. Pictures that have been digitally manipulated in breach of these rules are not eligible.
MCC and Wisden have appointed the following independent panel of judges:
- Chris Smith (Chairman of Judging Panel)
- Nigel Davies
- Patrick Eagar
- Kevin Cummins
- Alison Mitchell
- Adrian Murrell
The judges’ decisions are final, and no correspondence will be entered into concerning their decisions or the competition’s organisation. Should the quality of entries fall below the standard required, MCC and Wisden reserve the right not to award prizes.
The winning entrants will be notified at least one week prior to the announcement of the winning images in April 2017. Winners will be asked to keep this information confidential until the results are announced in April 2017.
By entering your images into the competition, you confirm that the images you submit are free of any third party restrictions regarding use, and you grant a nonexclusive licence to MCC and Wisden to reproduce the three winning images in connection with the competition for the following purposes:
o publication in Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack 2017 and on www.wisden.com
o publication on www.lords.org and in MCC’s not-for-profit printed and electronic publications (eg members’ newsletters).
In addition, you grant MCC a non-exclusive licence to exhibit the eleven shortlisted images at Lord's Cricket Ground.
Media will be allowed to publish the winning image free of charge subject to it being in connection with the competition and clearly captioned as the Wisden/MCC Cricket Photograph of the Year 2016 and credited to the winning photographer.
Entrants must be the sole author and owner of the copyright for all images entered and will retain full copyright in their images at all times and any use of a submitted image beyond the uses set out in point 11 above must be by separate agreement with the copyright owner. Wisden and MCC hope that opportunities may arise for winning photographers to benefit from the commercial use of their image in connection with the competition, but if any such opportunities do arise they will be exploited only with the copyright owner’s permission.
All entries are sent at the photographer’s risk. MCC and Wisden regret that they cannot accept liability for any loss or damage of any images entered in the competition (howsoever caused) nor for any other loss or damage resulting there from. All non-winning digital images which are entered into the competition will be deleted after the winners are announced in April 2017.
For more information click "Further information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: