Vienna Graduate School of Population Genetics PhD Position
We encourage young, enthusiastic graduate students intrigued by the interdisciplinary nature of the Vienna Graduate School of Population Genetics to apply for the program within the application deadline. However, interested students are welcome to apply throughout the year as additional positions may become available. A high level of dedication and activity will be expected from you during the program, and you should be able to integrate into a very international team with English as the working language. We welcome candidates with backgrounds in either theoretical, computational or experimental fields such as bioinformatics, statistics, evolutionary genetics, functional genetics, theoretical and experimental population genetics. Students from related disciplines, such as physics or mathematics are also welcome to apply. Applicants with a genuine interest for interdisciplinary PhD education will be preferred.
Only complete applications will be considered!
Applicants are requested to email the following information as a single pdf document to the program coordinator:
- application form
- a motivation letter with a statement of research interests
- university certificates including grades
- a copy of your university degree that enables you to pursue a doctoral study (diploma, master); if you will earn your degree after the deadline: please supply recent transcripts
- an indication of two preferred topics
- at least two reference letters assessing your scientific qualifications need to be e-mailed directly to us(please contact your referees proactively and use the referee request below as a guideline). Please consider that your referees may need some time to prepare and send their letters within the deadline!
download referee request
The selected candidates will be invited for an interview with the faculty members.
The interview will consist of three phases:
- presentation of one publication selected by the applicant from three publications suggested by the faculty.
- questions of the faculty to the applicant about the paper and the applicant's background and motivation
- questions of the applicant to the faculty.
As the next step in the selection procedure the applicants will have the opportunity to interact with current students of the Vienna Graduate School of Population Genetics. This will take place without the presence of the faculty members and should provide the applicants with further insights into the spirit of the PhD program. Furthermore, the applicants are given the opportunity to interact with the prospective thesis advisor to discuss specific aspects of the project. The final decision is made by the faculty, aiming to recruit the candidates with the highest scientific potential. Accepted PhD students will receive a monthly salary based on EUR 2.024,90 before tax according to the regulations of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF).
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: