The Aleksanteri Institute Visiting Fellowship
- Is intended for scholars who carry out research in a field relevant to the Aleksanteri Institute’s multidisciplinary research profile on Russia, Eastern Europe, and Eurasia, and whose place of residence is outside Finland. Applicants can be at any career stage but must hold a PhD degree. The degree must be granted by 12 February 2019.
- Carries a monthly grant of 3300 € to cover all expenses related to the stay in Helsinki (e.g., accommodation, travel, insurance, visa).
- Is intended for a period of one to three months between 1 August 2019 and 15 July 2020. The last possible starting date for the fellowship is 1 June 2020.
- Involves a research stay at the Aleksanteri Institute, during which Visiting Fellows are expected to be present at the Aleksanteri Institute and to participate in its academic activities.
- Provides an excellent opportunity to conduct research and to benefit from interaction with the Russian and Eastern European studies community in Finland. Each Visiting Fellow is assigned two hosts who facilitate integration into the local academic scene.
- Visiting Fellows are expected to contribute to the advancement of Russian, Eastern European, and Eurasian studies in general, and to the research agenda of the Aleksanteri Institute in particular.
- Visiting Fellows will present their research at the Aleksanteri Institute Visiting Fellows Research Seminar series and can make presentations elsewhere at the University of Helsinki and at other Finnish universities and research centres.
- Provides Visiting Fellows with office space and IT facilities, as well as use of the Institute’s in-house library and other University of Helsinki libraries, including e-libraries and the Slavonic Library.
- Grant-holders are required to have an excellent command of English.
- Submission must be made by 12 February 2019 (by 23:59 UTC +2:00) for the period of
1 August 2019 – 15 July 2020.
- Consist of an electronic application form and materials submitted as an attachment to the electronic form (in a single PDF document).
- Must be written in English.
- Incomplete applications or applications submitted after the deadline cannot be considered for selection.
How to submit the application
Complete an electronic application form, which is open from 14 January until Tuesday 12 February 2019 23:59 Finnish time (UTC +2:00).
Upload the following material to the electronic application form as a single PDF file:
(1) A cover letter of no more than one page that (a) states the purpose of the research stay, (b) describes how the fellowship would benefit the research of the applicant, and (c) describes how the applicant would contribute to the Aleksanteri Institute’s research agenda.
(2) A research proposal of no more than 2,500 words (excluding references) that must include your name, the title of your research proposal, and all the following sub-headings:
1. Background, objectives, and research question(s)
2. Research methods and research materials
3. Work plan for the visit
4. Links of the proposed research with the Aleksanteri Institute’s research profile
5. References (Works cited in sections 1. and 2.)
At the end of the research proposal, please indicate the word count (max. 2,500 words, excluding references).
(3) The applicant’s CV (max. 3 pages).
(4) A list of relevant publications by the applicant (max. 2 pages).
For all the above documents, please use font size 11 or 12. All page margins should be at least 1.5 cm.
Academic excellence: The quality of the research proposal, feasibility of the work plan for the visit, and scholarly merits of the applicant in relation to the applicant’s career stage.
Potential for a mutually beneficial research visit: The connection with, and relevance of the applicant’s research to the research profile of the Aleksanteri Institute, and the potential benefit of the visit for the applicant.
These criteria are combined with our aim to invite a diverse cohort of fellows in terms of research topics, disciplines, and countries of study.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: