8-12 July 2019
Ageing is related to problems both at societal as well as at individual level. Healthy ageing is part of the solution, and various disciplines are engaging in healthy ageing research, including social sciences, demography, biomedical sciences, and public health. The main goal of the Healthy Ageing Summer School is that students gain insight into the healthy ageing obtained by these different disciplines, ranging from cell to society. The School strives for scientific co-operation and pre- and post-graduate education at an international level, trying to attract students already interested in research. The intentions are to stimulate students interest in research from an early stage on, to allow master students the opportunity to get an overview of and explore the possibilities of healthy ageing research in Groningen and to encourage contact between students and research project leaders. The school also aids in recruiting young potentials, i.e. enthusiastic and talented students who are attracted by interdisciplinary approaches to scientific research.
The main goal of this Summer School is:
- To introduce students into the various aspects of healthy ageing with focus on the limitations and complications we are facing today.
- To enable students to understand or tackle these problems by performing scientific research.
- To foster interdisciplinary collaboration, by combining students from diverse backgrounds, including social sciences, demography, biomedical sciences, and public health.
The format of the Summer School is based on the intense interaction between students and teachers.
A variety of lectures will be given by experts in the field on topics given below. The participant will work on healthy ageing-related scientific problems in small multidisciplinary groups, applying multiple (societal, medical and biological) approaches.
Who can participate?
- Selected international students interested in healthy ageing and healthy ageing research.
- Selected students from Groningen interested in healthy ageing and healthy ageing research.
- Selected students are: second and third year bachelor students or master students from diverse backgrounds including medicine, biology, demography, social and behavioral sciences.
At the end of the Summer School students:
- have gained insight into and recognize societal, medical and biological aspects of an ageing society
- are able to approach and solve a Healthy Ageing-related problem by combining all three disciplines (societal, medical and biological)
- are able to apply knowledge obtained from papers and lectures to the presented Healthy Ageing-related problems
- are able to translate this knowledge to the general public
To reach these goals students should show rigor in their own discipline and openness and tolerance to other views and approaches.
- The Summer School will take place at very stimulating venues: the Allersmaborg (a manor near Groningen) and the University Medical Center Groningen
- A student committee will take care of a smashing social program
- Low participation fee
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: