COFUND Fellowship Programme of Max Weber Centre for Advanced Cultural and
Social Studies at the University of Erfurt for Experienced
Researchers - Academic Year 2018/19
The Max Weber Centre for Advanced Cultural and Social Studies (Max-Weber-Kolleg Erfurt) at the University of Erfurt is a highly ranked international research centre. It is unique in its organizational structure by combining the functions of an institute for advanced study and a graduate school. Its ‘Weberian’ research programme combines historical, comparative and interdisciplinary perspectives with an interest in normative issues in the social sciences. It has a focus on contemporary social challenges, especially those arising in connection with (religious) plurality, cultural diversity and social processes of acceleration and growth. The core disciplines at the Max Weber Kolleg are sociology, economics, religious studies, law, philosophy, history and theology. Within its fellowship programme “MWK-FELLOWS" the Max-Weber-Kolleg Erfurt offers
(up to) 10 Fellowships for Experienced Researchers
The fellowships will be awarded to experienced researchers who are conducting advanced interdisciplinary research in cultural and social studies. The current call invites applications for fellowships for the academic year 2018/19. The fellowships will be awarded for 12 months (01 September 2018 – 31 August 2019). In exceptional cases an extension for another year is possible. All experienced researchers regardless of seniority are invited to apply. This call is also open for researchers who are currently working outside academia but are interrested in re-entering an academic environment of work.
Successful applicants are expected to work during their stay on their own research project to be accomplished within one year. In addition to being involved in an intellectually vibrant community of interdisciplinary researchers, felllows will be supported by participating in the advanced study programme of colloquia, guest lectures, etc., by the availability of targeted personal training, and, where appropriate, research stays at cooperating academic institutions or secondments to partner institutions from the non-academic sector.
Research Experience: Applicants must have a doctoral degree or at least four years of full-time equivalent research experience at the application deadline. Full-time equivalent research experience is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree which would formally entitle him or her to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in Germany, irrespective of whether a doctorate is or was ever envisaged.
EU Mobility Rule: They can be of any nationality, but at the time of application researchers must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Germany for more than twelve months in the three years immediately prior to the application deadline. Compulsory national service and short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
Support: Applicants must propose a research project that can be particularly well supported at the Max-Weber-Kolleg. To fulfill this requirement applicanst must explain in detail in their motivation letter which research group or research centre at the Max-Weber-Kolleg can provide this support.
Furthermore they must identify in their motivation letter at least one relevant researcher from a research group or centre at the Max-Weber-Kolleg who has specific expertise in the field of the applicant's proposed project and with whom the applicant would like to work during the fellowship.
APPLICATION / DEADLINE
Applicants are strictly required to submit all necessary documents in German or English via the online application portal:
- Completed online application form
- Curriculum vitae including a list of publications (Please make sure that for all periods in which you were employed, received a stipend, fellowship or grant, or stayed abroad you mention the exact dates on which the period started and ended)
- Copy of the degree certificate and transcript of the most recently completed university degree (Degree certificates which are not originally issued in German or English have to be translated. The translation has to be officially certified. You must submit both the scan of the original degree certificate and the scan of the officially certified translation)
- Electronic copies of either three reviewed journal publications or one individually authored book, or a copy of the doctoral thesis
- Motivation letter which explains the reasons for the application for the programme, particularly why the proposed research project can be excellently supported at the Max-Weber-Kolleg
- Names and contact details of three proposed independent external referees
- Outline of the research proposal (up to 3000 words). The proposals must include a working programme and an overview of the most important project-specific publications
- Completed and signed Ethical Issue Form
- Proof of research experience: in case applicants do not hold a PhD-degree, a minimum of 4 years full-time equivalent research experience at the call deadline has to be documented
Deadline for applications: 1 October 2017; 11:59 p.m. CEST (The online application portal opens on 1 September 2017, please follow the link on the right side "Application Procedure" for guidelines and access to the online application form (registration) and the online application portal
MWK-FELLOWS will be appointed on the basis of a regular employment contract with the University of Erfurt according to the German Civil Service Collective Agreement (TV-L, pay grade E 13). Alternatively, fellows have the opportunity to stay in a current employment contract with their home universities under the precondition of an accepted leave of absence. The University of Erfurt will compensate the home universities for their costs of replacement as well as the fellows for their additional costs up to a defined sum.
MWK-FELLOWS will receive an individual research and a training budget. They will be provided with a fully equipped workplace and have full access to the academic infrastructure (e.g. library loan, web space).
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: