Department of Pharmacy is offering a three-year PhD fellowship in Mass spectrometry imaging of plant metabolites. The PhD fellowship is financed by the EU Horizon 2020 - Research and Innovation Framework Programme. The fellowship is available from June 1st 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The Ph.D. project is part of a larger research project which aims to implement biosynthesis of important precursors for commercial drug substances into yeast cells. The drug substance precursors are currently produced in plants at relatively low yield, and the aim of the Ph.D. project is to characterize the plant biosynthesis of the compounds in great detail. This will be done by mass spectrometry imaging by DESI and MALDI of several different alkaloids in different plant samples. The knowledge obtained in these experiments will be used to assess which segments of the biosynthesis to focus on in yeast refactoring. The project takes place in close collaboration with consortium partners in France and Germany and with co-supervision from Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences, University of Copenhagen.
Associate professor, Christian Janfelt, Department of Pharmacy,
As an applicant you must have:
- Obtained a Master´s degree in chemistry, pharmacy, plant biology or related areas prior to the starting date
- Fluency in English and excellent communication skills
- Practical experience with mass spectrometry, e.g. LC-MS or preferably mass spectrometry imaging will be considered a great advantage.
- Knowledge of biosynthesis of natural products in plants will be considered an advantage.
Your key tasks as a PhD fellow at the Faculty are to:
- Carry through an independent research project under supervision
- Write scientific articles and the PhD thesis on the grounds of your research project
- Complete PhD courses or other equivalent education corresponding to approx. 30 ECTS points
- Obtain experience with teaching or other types of dissemination related to your PhD project
- Participate in the undergraduate teaching of students in pharmaceutical sciences
- Participate in national and international conferences and scientific meetings
- Stay at an external research institution, preferably abroad
Key criteria for the assessment of applicants
- Professional qualifications relevant to the PhD project
- Relevant work experience
- The grade point average achieved
- Other professional activities
- Language skills
- The successful applicant is also required to be enterprising and to possess good interpersonal skills
The position is available for a 3-year period for applicants holding a relevant master´s degree.
The successful applicant will be requested to formally apply for enrolment as a PhD student at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences according to the rules stipulated in the Ministerial order on the PhD programme at the universities (PhD order) from the Ministry of Science, Innovation, and Higher Education and the guidelines for the PhD programme at the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences.
The PhD student is expected to be affiliated to the graduate programme in pharmaceutical sciences, Drug Research Academy.
Terms of employment
The position as a PhD fellow is available for a 3-year period.
Salary and other terms and conditions of appointment are set in accordance with the Agreement between the Ministry of Finance and AC (Danish Confederation of Professional Associations) or other relevant professional organizations. Depending on seniority, the monthly salary begins around DKK 26,754 (approx. 3,588 EUR) (taxable) plus pension. The position is covered by the Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities (2013).
For further information, applicants may contact the principal supervisor, Christian Janfelt, or Administrator Marianne W. Jørgensen, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
, direct phone: +45 3533 6449.
The application, in English, must be submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
Your application must include:
- Cover letter: Letter stating the interest in and qualifications for the project (max. one page)
- Full CV
- Diploma and transcripts of records: Master´s degree diploma (including grade transcripts for bachelor´s and master´s degrees). Applicants with a Master´s degree from abroad should also enclose a short description of the grading scale used
- Possible publication list
- Other information to consider: Possible references and recommendations
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.