An Introduction to Astronomy
Aims of the course
- To provide a full structure and understanding to your learning in this subject, through a framework that gives a clear and comprehensive understanding of the relative sizes of objects and their relationship to one another.
- A review of the structures found in the universe, from planets, stars and galaxies, to the cosmic web, resulting in an understanding of our place, relationship to, and a sense of scale to the cosmos we inhabit.
- A provide a framework, in this present golden era of astronomy, within which you may better understand the science of astronomy encountered on multimedia, and to place into context the importance of new discoveries.
- To help you take full advantage of on-line resources, such as YouTube astronomy channels, audio-books and astronomy books aimed at the general public.
- To encourage you to attend astronomical observing opportunities, and consider undertaking additional astronomy courses elsewhere.
Course content overview
In this introductory course, in order to give full justice to the cosmic wonders that surround you, we shall view the components of our island universe, the Milky Way, starting outwards from our favourite star, passing the asteroids and planets of our small corner of the Universe, and beyond into the wider stellar neighbourhood. Taking in cosmic wonders of our Galaxy along the way, from the gentle birth of stars to their cataclysmic demise, the dizzying rotations of super-dense pulsars, to the most violent of all events as we witness the birth scream of black holes.
This course is open to everyone, and you don’t need any previous knowledge or experience of the subject to attend.
Our short courses are designed especially for adult learners who want to advance their personal or professional development. They are taught by tutors who are expert in both their subjects and in teaching students of all ages and experiences.
Please note that all teaching is in English. You should have near-native command of the English language in order to get the maximum benefit from the course.
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.