About Summer Academy
The United Nations System Staff College is happy to invite you for the UN Summer Academy 2016 edition, which will take place from 22 to 26 August in Bonn, Germany.
After a watershed year for global development, during which Member States have reached four major new agreements for people and planet, the 2016 edition of the Summer Academy will focus on the theme “Shaping a Sustainable Future”.
The Academy will introduce in particular key features of Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development, including the Sustainable Development Goals, along with the Paris Agreement under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, engaging participants in a dialogue and exchange of practices requiring profound changes beyond ‘business as usual’ both in terms of substantive integration of the three pillars of sustainable development, as well as through new ways of working with partners from all segments of society.
Leveraging the presence of 19 UN entities in Bonn, as well as numerous leading institutions in international development, the academy will also provide an exclusive opportunity for dialogue with professionals working towards the implementation of a universal sustainable development agenda, applicable in all countries.
The UN Summer Academy offers executive education, learning and knowledge exchange to participants working for the United Nations System, academia, foundations, civil society and the private sector alike, as well as to a select number of post-graduate students and young professionals who intend to pursue a career in the field.
Participation in the 2016 edition of the UN Summer Academy will provide an ideal opportunity to reflect upon the mandate and contributions of the United Nations, as well as other development actors in light of the new agenda in a rapidly changing environment. Building on a renowned faculty, the UN Summer Academy combines academic rigor with cutting edge thinking. It offers an engaging five day programme, ensuring rich interaction between peers and faculty, participation in solution oriented clinics, and discussions of relevance to the work of the United Nations and its partners. The academy will also cater to the participants‘ well-being by organizing a rich cultural programme featuring the great opportunities in terms of culture and nature the Bonn area provides.
The 2016 edition of the UN Summer Academy will focus on the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development, including the Sustainable Development Goals, along with the Paris Agreement under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
Leveraging the presence of 19 UN entities in Bonn, as well as numerous leading institutions in international development, the academy will provide an exclusive opportunity for dialogue with professionals working towards the implementation of a universal sustainable development agenda, applicable in all countries.
The UN Summer Academy offers an engaging five day programme, ensuring rich interaction between peers and faculty, participation in solution oriented clinics, and discussions of relevance to the work of the United Nations System, academia, philanthropic foundations, civil society and the private sector in the context of the 2030 Agenda.
As part of the Summer Academy, A Share Fair will be organized, which will bring together different German and regional institutions and initiatives across different sectors, to showcase the diversity of programmatic approaches and practices and foster networking.
The UN Summer Academy fee is $1,000 USD, and covers the following:
- Participation in the full 5-day programme, with a balance of presentations, skills development, group discussions and work on practical exercises
- Lifetime access to course material and additional resources at the UN Kampus, the online learning portal of the UNSSC
- Exclusive networking opportunity with representatives and leaders from various organizations
- Free membership in the UN Summer Academy Alumni Network
- Opportunity to experience various cultural activities in the city of Bonn, which is also home to 19 UN agencies and a leader in sustainable development issues
- Certificate of Participation
Travel and accommodation costs related to attendance in the UN Summer Academy are not included.
Participants will be individually selected to create a global mix, representing a spectrum of sectors, functions, organisations and countries. As in previous editions, participants in the UN Summer Academy 2016 will comprise a wide group of development actors, including the UN, the diplomatic corps, civil society, donors (traditional and emerging), non-governmental organizations, academia, and private sector representatives.
To complete online application please click on "Further official information" below.
Upon submission of your electronic application, you will receive an acknowledgement via email. Applications will be screened by the UN Summer Academy Assessment Committee.
Registration implies that, where necessary, you have the relevant authorization from your organization/supervisor to register for and attend the Academy.
Acceptance to all UNSSC courses is subject to availability of spaces and, when applicable, conformity with the selection criteria.
Following your registration, the UNSSC will acknowledge and communicate if your participation has been confirmed. At that point, you will receive an invoice and relevant instructions to make the fee payment.
- The following cancellation policy will become effective upon your acceptance to the Academy by UNSSC and receipt of related invoice.
- In the unforeseen circumstances that you have to cancel your participation, and in view of actual costs incurred by UNSSC for the design, development and organization of the Academy, the UNSSC will only be able to refund your payment or waive your responsibility to pay the fee in accordance with the following criteria:
- Written Cancellation Received:
- 15 calendar days or more before the start of the Academy
- 14 to 8 calendar days before the start of the Academy
- 7 calendar days or less before the start of the Academy, including non-attendance
- Refund/Payment due:
- 100% refund of the tuition fee/ full waiver of tuition fee payment
- 50% refund of the tuition fee/ 50% tuition fee to be paid to UNSSC
- No refund of the tuition fee/ 100% tuition fee to be paid to UNSSC
- Cancellations must be received in writing.
- Written Cancellation Received:
Fore more information please click "Further official information" below.