The Wiener Library Ernst Fraenkel Prize
The Wiener Library Ernst Fraenkel Prize (WLEFP) is a prestigious competition for book-length academic manuscripts on the Holocaust, its context and implications, and twentieth century and post-Holocaust genocides.
As the Prize reached its 25th anniversary in 2014, we wanted to re-evaluate its remit to ensure that it continues to reflect the Library’s fields of interest, which have evolved over the years. Following the death of Ernst Fraenkel OBE in late 2014, the Prize was suspended for a year in 2016 and we took this opportunity to work with our trustees and with the Fraenkel family to revise the rules of the competition and the subject areas it covers.
Please note that from 2017 there will no longer be two categories; WLEFP is a single prize of £5,000, open to anyone who has not published more than two books (monographs). Please refer to the list of eligible subject areas and restrictions before sending your submission.
The following subject areas are eligible:
- The History of Antisemitism
- The History of Nazism
- Refugees and Exiles
- The Holocaust
- Jewish History in the twentieth century as it pertains to the Holocaust
- World War Two
- Studies of post-Holocaust issues, for example memory, commemoration, justice, Holocaust literature and art, philosophical and theological responses etc.
- Entry is restricted to an author’s first or second book (monograph)
- The manuscript must be unpublished at the closing date for submissions
- The work must be written in English
- English translations of books previously published in another language will not be eligible
- Book manuscripts submitted in previous years may not be resubmitted in any following year
- The panel reserves the right not to consider any work that falls outside the specified subject areas or fails to meet entry requirements.
How to Enter
To enter please send your manuscript and CV in electronic format only (PDF or Word file) to Neta Lavee on firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding your submission, please email email@example.com.
Deadline for Entry
All entries must reach our office by 5.30pm on Tuesday, 2 May 2017.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: