The GLOBIS MBA (Part-time) in Japan
The GLOBIS MBA Program (Part-time) is a two-year management degree designed for maximum flexibility, allowing students to upgrade their skills and build a powerful network, without disruptions to work and other commitments.
Classes are held on weeknights and weekends, and can be taken on-campus, online, or a combination of both.
Whether you’re looking to move up in your current company, expand your career opportunities, or just find a clearer direction in life, this program will help you achieve your goals as easily as possible.
Applicants to GLOBIS University need to satisfy the following requirements at the time of entrance.
If you do not meet one or more requirements, you will be required to undergo a Preliminary Screening.
- Be at least 22 years of age
- Have at least two years of full-time work experience
- Meet ONE of the following criteria:
- (1) Received a bachelor’s degree from a recognized college or university.
- (2) Completed a 16-year curriculum of school education in an institution outside of Japan and possess a degree equivalent to a bachelor's degree.
- (3) Received confirmation from GLOBIS University that your academic capacity is equivalent to that of a university or college graduate.
Key Dates for Admission
- Applicants who require GLOBIS to sponsor a visa must apply in the September or February rounds to ensure adequate time to process the visa application. Applicants who do not require GLOBIS to sponsor a visa or wish to study online and do not require a Japanese visa may apply in any round.
- If you are asked to take an interview and/or exam, the dates will be decided from the possible dates above. In principle, schedule changes will not be permitted unless the applicant makes a request to the Admissions Office on the Online Admission System when submitting the application.
- Multiple applications within the same academic year for the following programs will not be accepted:
- MBA, Hybrid, Part-time, On-Campus and Online (English)
- MBA, Full-time, On-Campus (English)
- MBA, Part-time (Japanese)
- MBA, Online (Japanese)
- Applicants can submit all of the documents through the Online Admission System.
- Documents written in languages other than English are NOT ACCEPTED, except where otherwise prescribed.
- If the document is written in a language other than English, please attach an English translation signed by a translator.
Personal Data (required for all)
- Fill out your personal data, work experience and academic record as requested on the Online Admission System.
- Make sure to show that you possess at least two years of full-time work experience (work experience during a study period will not be regarded as "full-time" work experience unless an acceptable explanation is provided illustrating how both commitments were managed). Otherwise, you will need to undergo a preliminary screening.
Photo (required for all)
- Upload a high resolution digital image in JPEG format (must be 500KB to 2MB).
- Should be a headshot with no hats or other headgear in front of a white or blue background and taken within the last three months. The photo will be used for your Student ID Card.
Letter of Recommendation (required for all)
- One letter of recommendation is required.
- By sending a request from the Online Admission System, your recommender will be able to receive a link to download a recommendation letter form and upload it to the system.
- If your recommender is unable to make the submission online, you can receive the original letter signed and sealed by the recommender and send it to the Admissions Office by registered air or express mail by the application deadline.
- The recommender should be a supervisor or person who has or has had a close business relationship with you.
Transcript (required for all)
- Upload a transcript of your bachelor's degree (master’s/doctoral degrees are additional and optional).
If you are a Preliminary Screening applicant and do not have a bachelor's degree, you will need to upload a transcript of your highest level of education where you received a diploma (e.g., high school diploma).
- The transcript must include a list of all courses you completed and the grades you received.
- You may upload a copy of your transcript; however, you will be asked to submit the original transcript should you be admitted to GLOBIS, and it will not be returned once submitted. A photocopy is only accepted if officially certified by a university or legal authority.
Certificate of Graduation
- If the graduation date and the name of your obtained degree are stated in your transcript, it is not necessary to submit a Certificate of Graduation.
Otherwise, you must upload a Certificate of Graduation for your bachelor's degree(master’s/doctoral degrees are additional and optional).
- Uploading a copy of your Certificate of Graduation is acceptable; however, you will be asked to send an official Certificate of Graduation by post for verification should you be admitted to GLOBIS. A photocopy is only accepted if officially certified by a university or legal authority.
Evidence of English Ability
- Upload evidence of your English Ability issued within the last two years.
- TOEFL*, TOEIC, and IELTS scores are accepted. (*We strongly recommend the TOEFL test.)
- You can be exempted from submitting the evidence if:
a) You are a native English speaker and chose “English” as your “Native Language” on the Online Admission System.
b) You received an undergraduate or graduate degree from a program taught entirely in English.
Please note: if you received this degree from a university NOT located in Australia, Canada, India, Ireland, New Zealand, the Philippines, Singapore, the United Kingdom or the United states of America, you will need to upload an official letter from your university or submit a link (attached in a word document) to the university's web page clearly indicating that the program was taught entirely in English.
Essays (required for all)
- Answer the essay questions on the Online Admission System.
GMAT/GRE Score Report (optional)
- If you have an official score issued within the last five years, please upload it.
- If you have a CV, please upload it.
Statement of Financial Resources (all non-Japanese applicants)
- Non-Japanese applicants must prove that they have sufficient funds to support themselves throughout their stay in Japan.
- The evidence must show at least JPY 1.5 million per year, and if you bring your family member to Japan, evidence of additional JPY 500,000 per year per family member is required.
- Download the prescribed “Statement of Financial Resources” form from the Online Admission System and declare the amount of your available financial resources.
- Each amount indicated in the “Statement of Financial Resources” should be accompanied by any of the following supporting evidence:
- Your Savings: your bank account balance issued within the past three months
- Your Supporter’s Savings: your supporter’s bank account balance issued within the past
three months AND a signed “Letter of Financial Support”
- Others: if you have financial resources other than mentioned above, upload documents that prove the existence of such funds
- Any of the above should include the issue date, your (or your supporter’s) name, account number and savings amount.
- If the total amount of your financial resources is less than the required amount, please indicate your plan to fund the shortfall.
Residence Card (all non-Japanese applicants living in Japan)
- Upload a scanned image or photo of both sides of your residence card.
GLOBIS Scholarship Application (only for non-Japanese applicants)
- Answer the scholarship essay question on the Online Admission System if you would like to apply.
- Refer to Scholarships/Loans for the screening criteria and essay question.
- Applicants living in Japan: JPY 37,000
- Applicants living overseas: JPY 11,000
- Credit card payment only. Cash payments are not accepted.
Policy of Returning Documents
Once submitted, we will not return any documents that can be reissued or replaced by other means. This includes the following: letter of recommendation, transcript, translation(s), notarized certifications, CV, evidence of financial resources, statement of financial resources, photocopy of residence card.
The following essay questions need to be answered in your application. Please emphasize any international experience where applicable.
- Q1. Tell us about a recent work or project experience about which you were passionate. Describe why you were passionate about the experience, how your skills and values contributed to the experience, and how you worked with others. (250 to 550 words)
- Q2. Tell us about a challenging situation that you have personally faced. Describe concretely what you did about the situation as well as what you learned from it. (250 to 550 words)
- Q3. Tell us about a long-term goal or vision for society and your plan to realize this vision. Describe specifically the source of inspiration for your vision, such as an inspiring person, book, or other experience. Describe how GLOBIS University and an MBA degree will help realize your vision and concrete steps make this vision a reality. (250 to 550 words)
- Q4. Tell us about any volunteer activities, social activities, or school groups that you have been involved with. Describe the activity as well as your role and how long you were involved. Additionally, mention any academic and/or business awards you have received. (250 to 550 words)
- Q5. (Supplementary information, only for non-Japanese applicants) Tell us your Japanese language ability and explain your experience learning Japanese (duration, schools, certificates, etc.). Please note this information will be used as a reference only. Japanese language ability is not required for our MBA program. (Less than 50 words, essay format not necessary.)
- Q6. (Supplementary information, only for part-time program applicants) What percentage of courses do you expect to take online (e.g. 20%)? Please note this information will be used as a reference only. Students are free to take a combination of both on-campus and online courses. (Less than 50 words, essay format not necessary.)
For more detailed information please click on "Further Official Information" below.