The David E. Bell Postdoctoral Fellowship Program at the Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies (HCPDS) provides opportunities for research and leadership training in a flexible, one or two year non-degree program for postdoctoral researchers in the field of population and development. Selected candidates possess a strong record of academic training, proven research experience, a commitment to population and development work, the demonstrated ability to work independently, and leadership potential. This program is open to both U.S. and international scholars.
Before applying, please review the Program Goals, Expectations and Terms and Conditions of the Bell Fellowship. Please note that we do not prescreen applicants.
Stipend and Benefits
Fellows have access to the full range of resources offered by Harvard University and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Each fellow is provided with shared office space at the Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies in Harvard Square, Cambridge, plus library privileges, health benefits, a research and travel budget, and a stipend of $60,000 U.S. dollars per year (12 month appointment).
- Your current contact information including mailing address and phone number(s).
- Three letters of recommendation, emailed directly from the recommender and, if possible, on letterhead. Letter writers should provide the following information:
– How long he/she has known the applicant
– Relationship to the applicant (e.g. advisor)
– Quantitative ranking of this candidate compared to others (e.g. top 10%)
In addition, the letter should comment on the applicant’s:
– Writing skills
– Analytical skills
– Ability to form new and creative ideas and research questions
– Ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment
- All incoming scholars must provide proof that they have completed all doctoral requirements by the time of entry into the program (September 1, 2017). The following forms will be accepted 1) Copy of Diploma (Preferred); 2) Letter from Registrar’s Office noting that all doctoral requirements have been completed; or 3) Letter from chair of thesis committee noting that all doctoral requirements have been completed. Those with M.D.s and J.D.s are also eligible to apply.
All application materials should be emailed to email@example.com.
**Please put “Bell Fellowship Application” in the subject line of the email. If you are also submitting an application for the Sloan Fellowship, please put “Bell and Sloan Fellowship Application” in the subject line.**
Letters of recommendation should be emailed directly from the recommender to the same address.
Two candidates will be chosen by March 3, 2017.
Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information click "Further official information" below.