Students can apply for a scholarship under the Cultural Agreements programme to attend a Danish Summer Language Course.
The summer language courses in Danish are open to bachelor's, master's and PhD students.
The summer language course scholarships are available for students enrolled in full-degree programmes in institutions of higher education in the following countries:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovak Republic, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, The Netherlands, Turkey and United Kingdom.
Japan (4 scholarships available)
- Israel (3 scholarships available. One of these scholarships is reserved for a teacher from Danmarksskolen in Israel).
- Russia (6 scholarships available)
- The following institutions in China (exclusively):
- Beijing Foreign Studies University, The Danish Department
- Fudan University, College of Foreign Language and Literatures, Shanghai
- The Institute of European Language and Culture, Beijing
Selected institutions in Canada and USA:
University of British Columbia, Department of Central, Eastern and Northern European Studies, Vancouver, Canada
Portland State University, Dept. of Foreign language and Literature, Portland, OR
University of California, Department of Scandinavian Studies, Berkeley, CA
University of California, The Scandinavian Section, Los Angeles, CA
University of Colorado, Boulder, Department of Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures, Boulder, CO
University of Texas at Austin, Department of Germanic Studies, Austin, TX
University of Washington, Scandinavian Department, Seattle, WA
University of Wisconsin, Department. of Scandinavian Studies, Madison, WI
Applications from candidates enrolled in higher education institutions in countries other than those listed above will not be taken into consideration.
Applicants will be prioritized according to specific criteria. The selection of candidates is done according to the following criteria.
Mandatory Selection Criteria
The applicant must fulfil these three criteria in order to qualify for the scholarship
- The applicant is either a bachelor's, master's or PhD student.
- The applicant is NOT enrolled as a full-degree student in Denmark.
- The applicant is NOT enrolled as an exchange student at a Danish higher education institution at the time of application for a Danish Summer Language Course.
Other Selection Criteria
These criteria are not mandatory but will improve the applicant’s standing in the selection process.
- The applicant is nominated by a lecturer who teaches Danish abroad. If you would like to be recommended by a lecturer, be sure to contact the lecturer before you apply. The recommendation letter should be sent together with the application, or as otherwise specified by the course organiser.
- The applicant studies Danish or Scandinavian languages and literature.
- The applicant will start an Erasmus+ stay in Denmark immediately following the Danish Summer Language Course.
The course organisers reserve the right to consider the distribution of nationalities in the final selection of candidates for the summer language courses. Previous experience has shown that overrepresentation of any nationality in an individual course is not desirable.
Financial conditions for the scholarship recipients
Accepted students receive either free tuition and free room and board, or free tuition and a scholarship of 5,000 DKK to cover room and board.
Depending on the course the students will attend, the students will either have to pay for accommodation and meals themselves, or it will be provided by the course organiser:
- If accommodation and meals are not provided by the course organiser, the students receive a DKK 5,000 scholarship upon arrival to cover accommodation and meals.
- If accommodation or meals are provided by the course organiser, it will be deducted from the DKK 5,000 scholarship.
- If accommodation and meals are provided by the course organiser, students will not receive a scholarship.
Please note that students must cover all travel expenses and other personal expenses (shopping, gifts, souvenirs, etc.) by themselves.
For more information please click on "Further official information" below.