About the Program
Apply by December 1, 2016.
The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals program offers two months of intensive German language training in Germany (no prior German language knowledge required), four months of classroom instruction at a German university or college of applied sciences, and a five-month internship in each participant’s career field.
Eligibility and Application Overview
Public applications are accepted.
The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX) for Young Professionals must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and:
- Aged 18-24 at the start of the program;
- Earned a high school diploma or equivalent;
- Completed general coursework in target internship field at a community college, college, or university;
- Possess some relevant work experience in target internship field;
- Proficient in the German language (preferred but not required); and
- Have clear career goals, good communication skills, and exhibit flexibility and diplomacy.
CBYX for Young Professionals is administered in the United States by Cultural Vistas, Inc., a non-profit organization awarded a federal grant by the U.S. Department of State.
The application season is now open! Please click on APPLY NOW below to get started on your application. Deadline is December 1.
All applicants must complete an online application and submit all supplemental materials by December 1 for the program year beginning the following July. A complete application consists of:
Online application form, submitted via the Cultural Vistas website (click "Apply Now" below to request access to the online application)
Resume (uploaded as part of the online application)
Copy of official transcript, showing at least the last two years of study (uploaded as part of the online application)
Proof of US citizenship or permanent resident status: passport or birth certificate (uploaded as part of the online application)
High school diploma or proof of high school graduation (uploaded as part of the online application)
Two letters of recommendation to be submitted via the online application
Candidates for CBYX for Young Professionals must:
- have U.S. citizenship or permanent residence
- be between 18 and 24 years of age at the start of the program
- possess a high school diploma
- exhibit clear career goals and some relevant experience in their career field (experience can be work, internship, or volunteer)
- have a strong interest in German and international affairs, as well as a strong sense of American identity
- be flexible, independent, and diplomatic
CBYX for Young Professionals is open to candidates in all career fields, and applicants from a broad range of backgrounds are selected for the program each year. Candidates in business, vocational, scientific, engineering, technical, and agricultural fields are especially encouraged to apply. Prior German language knowledge is not required, but is strongly preferred. Previous recipients of Congress-Bundestag scholarships are not eligible to apply.
In accordance with the public diplomacy goals of the CBYX program, the selection committee aims to select a diverse group of 75 American participants each year. Participants are expected to act as "young ambassadors" of the United States in Germany, and to represent the diversity of the U.S. in factors including, but not limited to, career field, educational background, geographic location, ethnicity, race, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disabilities, etc.
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: