About the Program
Apply by December 1, 2016.
The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals program offers two months of intensive German language training in Germany (no prior German language knowledge required), four months of classroom instruction at a German university or college of applied sciences, and a five-month internship in each participant’s career field.
Candidates for CBYX for Young Professionals must:
- have U.S. citizenship or permanent residence
- be between 18 and 24 years of age at the start of the program
- possess a high school diploma
- exhibit clear career goals and some relevant experience in their career field (experience can be work, internship, or volunteer)
- have a strong interest in German and international affairs, as well as a strong sense of American identity
- be flexible, independent, and diplomatic
CBYX for Young Professionals is open to candidates in all career fields, and applicants from a broad range of backgrounds are selected for the program each year. Candidates in business, vocational, scientific, engineering, technical, and agricultural fields are especially encouraged to apply. Prior German language knowledge is not required, but is strongly preferred. Previous recipients of Congress-Bundestag scholarships are not eligible to apply.
In accordance with the public diplomacy goals of the CBYX program, the selection committee aims to select a diverse group of 75 American participants each year. Participants are expected to act as "young ambassadors" of the United States in Germany, and to represent the diversity of the U.S. in factors including, but not limited to, career field, educational background, geographic location, ethnicity, race, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disabilities, etc.
For more information click "Further official information" below.