PhD position in Forest Ecology and Conservation (m/w/d)
We invite applications for a PhD position in Forest Ecology and Conservation (m/w/d)E13 TV-L, 65 %. Within the framework of existing forest projects, e.g. the Biodiversity Exploratories project, you will be able to analyse large datasets to investigate effects of forest management on biodiversity and ecosystem functioning.
- Full university degree (Diploma/M.Sc.) in in biology, ecology, forest science, environmental planning or a related discipline.
- Interest in community ecology and conservation.
- Sound knowledge in scientific programming (preferably R).
- Fluent in English, in reading and writing.
- Good communication skills and ability to work in a team.
- Ability to conduct field work.
Within the framework of existing forest projects, e.g. the Biodiversity Exploratories project (www.biodiversity-exploratories.de), you will be able to analyse large datasets to investigate effects of forest management on biodiversity and ecosystem functioning, with a strong focus on arthropods, as well as species interactions among arthropods and between arthropods and other trophic levels. Detailed research topics include community ecology of arthropods dependent on deadwood and their role in the process of wood decomposition, and effects of forest management on outbreaks of herbivorous insects and interactions among them. Optionally, you can conduct own insect assessments in the field to complement available data.
- You have the opportunity to develop a profile as a forest ecologist with a broad scope bridging basic and applied ecology.
- Our interdisciplinary research teams offers a stimulating working environment.
- A salary in accordance to TV-L E13 (65 %). The contract for the position will be initially limited to one year, but can be extended to 36 months.
- TUM is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women are therefore particularly encouraged to apply. Applicants with disabilities are treated with preference given comparable qualification.
Please send your application, including a cover letter, a detailed CV and contact information of two referees, as soon as possible (latest by April 25, 2019) in the form of a single pdf-file to Wolfgang Weisser (firstname.lastname@example.org). Appointment date is 1.5.2019.