V International Summer School on Higher Education Research
The HSE Institute of Education invites researchers in the field of higher education to participate in the 2017 International Summer School, which is to take place in St. Petersburg in June. This year, the Summer School’s agenda will address Higher Education and Social Inequality. The deadline for application is March 5, 2017.
The Institute of Education at National Research University – Higher School of Economics (Moscow), China Institute for Educational Finance Research and Graduate School of Education at Peking University invite earlier-career researchers, institutional researchers, and doctoral students to apply for the upcoming
Applicants with all relevant backgrounds (sociology, economics, political science, education, public administration, management, psychology, etc.) are encouraged to apply for the 2017 International Summer School.
The objective of the Summer School is to provide unique learning opportunities by bringing together both young and senior researchers of higher education. This exchange of perspectives will advance our understanding of higher education and foster the integration of young researchers into the international professional community.
The Vth International Summer School will focus on the inequalities in higher education as well as the problematisation of the role of higher education in reproducing social inequalities. Participation in higher education has been increasing rapidly over last decades, but social equity has not been achieved. Numerous studies around the world show persistent inequalities in access and participation in higher education shaped by social background. Gains in widening access, especially in systems with high participation rates, are undermined by the increasing stratification of higher education institutions and societies. These challenges call for re-thinking, conceptually and socio-politically, the role higher education has in modern society.
The Summer School faculty and participants will discuss such issues as:
- Key conceptual approaches to the analysis of the relationships between higher education and social inequality (including regional, gender and other inequalities; its global dimension)
- The roles of the state, society, and markets in shaping social inequalities and stratification of higher education systems
- Various national models for addressing inequalities in society and education
- Conditions under which higher education can make a difference in equalizing social opportunities
- Higher education's contribution to social solidarity and social wellbeing.
The Summer School participants will be shortlisted no later than March 31, 2017. Please consider that you might need to apply for Russian visa (check with a Russian consulate in your country).
Online application form can be found in the "Further official information" link below this announcement.
Information about previous International Summer Schools on higher education research:
- ‘Higher Education, Society, and the State’ (June 4–10, 2016, St. Petersburg)
- ‘Higher Education and the State’ (June 13–19, 2015, St. Petersburg)
- ‘Higher Education, Finance, and the State’ (July 5–11, 2015, Beijing, China)
- ‘Who are the Students in Higher Education? Changing Roles, Changing Systems, Changing Lives’ (June 8–14, 2014, St. Petersburg)
- ‘Creating Effective Universities’ (June 7–13, 2013, St. Petersburg).
The Organising Committee, HSE Institute of Education:
- Anna Smolentseva, Senior Researcher
- Nelly Pavlova, Manager
- Isak Froumin, Academic Advisor
- Alexander Sidorkin, Dean, Graduate School of Education.
Any questions or queries should be addressed to Nelly Pavlova at: +7 495 623 5249, email@example.com.