Agent Based Macroeconomics (ABMs) is the application to macroeconomic modeling of computational techniques developed to analyze multi-agent systems, i.e. economies where heterogeneous households, firms, financial intermediaries interact with each other and the environment. The dynamic pattern of the resulting aggregate time series . for instance of GDP . is characterized by the endogenous emergence of deep disequilibria and sudden state transitions . i.e. dramatic recessions followed by slow and painful recoveries . which is what a macroeconomic model should do in times of global financial crisis and great recessions. This is the reason why ABMs have been gaining attention both within the academic debate and among international institutions and policymakers.
This Summer School is addressed to highly motivated graduate and Ph.D. students, as well as researchers working for public and private research centers, who want to integrate their curricula with the analytical and technical tools developed within this innovative field of study.
Students will be introduced step by step to the logic of Agent Based modelling and will progressively come to master the fundamental tools required to build and analyze an Agent Based model, following a .learning by doing. didactic approach.
The Summer School will be geared around the live construction of simplified AB models of real and financial markets, explicitly designed for didactic purposes. Laboratory modules will be accompanied by exercises and applications designed to promote an active and cooperative learning by participants.
In addition, the summer school will cover some complementary aspects of model-building techniques, such as calibration and validation protocols, and methods for economic networks analysis.
The schedule is the following: 8 hours of classes per day, 4 full working days +1 half-day. In principle, 6 hours (in the morning and early afternoon) will be devoted to frontal lectures, equally distributed between classes dealing with theoretical and methodological aspects, and laboratories. The last 2 hours of the day will be devoted to group work on assignments, aiming at familiarizing with the concepts and tools presented in the course.
All the didactic material - papers, hand-outs, assignments, PDF for assigned reading, source codes, etc. - will be available for download on the Summer School website: absummerschool2015.univpm.it.
The number of participants is restricted to 20. We will thus only consider applicants with strong interest in the field.
An expression of interest must be sent via mail before July, 15th 2015 to email@example.com, attaching an updated CV and a letter of motivation. Later applications will also be evaluated, but only in the case of free posts.
The Summer School admission is free of charge. Organizers will provide lunches and coffee breaks. In addition, the participation to the Summer School Social Dinner will be free of charge for all participants. Due to limited available funding, other expenses, such as dinners, travels, lodging, will not be covered by organizers.
- Assenza, Tiziana: Associate Professor, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milano
- Caiani, Alessandro: Post-Doc researcher, Marche Polytechnic University
- Catullo Ermanno: Post-Doc Researcher, Marche Polytechnic University
- Caverzasi, Eugenio: Post-Doc researcher, Marche Polytechnic University
- Delli Gatti, Domenico: Full Professor, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milano
- Gallegati Mauro, Full Professor, Marche Polytechnic University
- Giri Federico, Post-Doc Researcher, Marche Polytechnic University
- Godin, Antoine: Post-Doc Researcher, University of Limerick
- Grazzini, Jakob: Post.Doc researcher, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milano
- Grilli, Ruggero: Post-Doc researcher, Marche Polytechnic University
- Palestrini, Antonio: Associate Professor, Marche Polytechnic University
- Recchioni, Maria Cristina: Full Professor, Marche Polytechnic University
- Raberto, Marco: Associate Professor, University of Genoa
- Riccetti, Luca: Researcher, Università Roma La Sapienza
- Roventini, Andrea: Associate Professor, Sant'Anna Institute of Advanced Studies
- Russo, Alberto: Researcher, Marche Polytechnic University
- Spelta Alessandro, Post-Doc researcher, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milano
- Tedeschi, Gabriele: Associate Professor, University Jaume I of Castellón
Further useful information, details, materials, contacts, links, will be available on the Summer School websiteabsummerschool2015.univpm.it as soon as possible.
For any question please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.