An amazing 10-day summer camp in Transylvania, Romania, for youth working to make the world a better place
The Global Youth Rising 2016 summer camp is a space in the beautiful Romanian countryside where dedicated, passionate, motivated youth activists and peacebuilders from across the globe come together to learn, share, build and exchange their experiences from their movements and organizations.
GYR is a space where youth already involved in organisations, movements and initiatives within their countries or globally will share and learn together while supported and empowered by experienced peace workers from a number of key organizations in the field of peacebuilding. Around 100 passionate young people who are involved in organizations, movements and initiatives related to peace, social justice, activism or environmental issues will come together to learn, share and collaborate.
This exciting summer camp will include a variety of workshops and training sessions on key topics in the field, as well as seminars, film showings, discussions, exchanges, planning spaces, as well as the chance to hike and explore the surrounding countryside.
Key topics will include:
- Psychological well-being and healing yourself – from inner peace to outer peace
- Tackling discrimination, violent extremism, and radicalisation
- Working with trauma (especially for refugees and asylum seekers)
- Key peacebuilding skills, e.g. using digital media, fundraising, community participation
- Creating a global movement, especially bringing together youth from Europe with those from Syria, Yemen, Libya and Iraq
- Environmental sustainability as a key to peace
- Innovative approaches to peace – e.g. theatre and sports
As well as being able to attend workshops from our partners – experts in the field of peace building and conflict transformation – we invite YOU to show the rest of us what YOUR organisation has been doing. If there’s a method or initiative that works well in your community, let us know about it and spread the knowledge and ideas to other people. We believe that powerful ideas should be spread and shared, not kept a secret – after all, we are better together.
In addition to training, workshops and discussions, the Global Youth Rising summer camp will include:
- Film Nights
- Peace/sharing Circles
- Cultural exchange
- Yoga and Meditation
- Excursions (e.g. hiking, white-water rafting)
Prior to the Global Youth Rising summer camp, participants will be invited to join an online space where they can engage in discussions with facilitators and other participants and learn more about the topics of activism and peacebuilding through reading and viewing key materials.
Participants will be provided with an information pack detailing everything they need to
know before arriving in Romania, including practical assistance for those who require visas to enter the country. Volunteers will meet you in Cluj-Napoca, Romania, to ensure a smooth arrival – arrive early and we can even show you around the city!
During the camp, participants will be able to receive one-to-one support from facilitators in order to help them create a personalised learning and action plan. By the end of the camp, each participant will have a clear list of steps that they will be able to take in order to develop themselves and their organizations.
After the Global Youth Rising summer camp, participants will be able to use the online platform to stay in touch, share experiences and ideas, create exciting new ideas for collaboration, and support each other. Follow-up Skype calls will take place for those who want to stay in touch, share stories or feel supported, and one-to-one support can be available for those who need it.
Whether you are an individual activist or peacebuilder or an organization that would like to join us for this exciting opportunity, we would love to hear from you.
OECD participants: 500 EUR
Non-OECD participants: 300 EUR
- Transportation from Cluj-Napoca to the summer camp and back
- Ten nights of accommodation at the camp (10th-20th July)
- Dinner on 10th July, all meals from 11th-19th July (breakfast, lunch and dinner), breakfast on the 20th July
- All training, workshops and activities, including support
- One excursion from the camp (choose from white-water rafting or hiking)
- Preparatory support and information
- Access to the preparatory online discussion forum and learning materials
- Access to follow-up support and discussion
Costs do not cover:
- The costs of obtaining a visa to enter Romania (if needed)
- Transport to Cluj-Napoca
- Cost of having your own room (this is an extra 150 euros)
- Any meals or accommodation outside the duration of the camp
- Any extra snacks/meals bought during the course dates
- Medical/travel insurance
A 10% discount will be given to anybody who applies and pays their fees before 30th March 2016. We can also offer a 10% discount to organizations sending 5 or more participants.
Application deadline: 30th May 2016 (5th May if you need a visa to enter Romania)
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: