Mission of the Programme
The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme was launched in 2013 by the Hungarian Government. The core mission of the programme is to increase the number of foreign students in Hungary and to encourage Hungarian higher education institutions to attract top foreign students; currently almost 50 sending partners are engaged in the programme.
Thousands of students from all around the world apply for higher educational studies in Hungary each year. In the academic year 2016/2017 approximately 3000 students can begin their studies in Hungary in the framework of the Stipendium Hungaricum Programme.
The Programme is managed by Tempus Public Foundation.
Provisions Covered by the Scholarship
- Tuition-free education: exemption from the payment of tuition fee.
- Monthly stipend:
- non-degree, bachelor, master and one-tier master level: monthly HUF 40 460 (cca EUR 130) contribution to the living expenses, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies,
- doctoral level: according to the current Hungarian legislation, it is monthly HUF 100 000 (cca EUR 325) at present - for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies - but the legislation is to be changed, consequently the amount is expected to be raised.
- dormitory place or a monthly contribution of HUF 30 000 to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period.
- Medical insurance:
- health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act No. 80 of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance.
Eligible Sending Partners
The Stipendium Hungaricum Programme is based on effective bilateral educational cooperation agreements between the Ministry of Human Capacities of Hungary and the partner’s Ministry responsible for higher education. Applications will be considered eligible if the applicant is nominated by the responsible authorities of the sending partner.
For full time programmes, students can apply from the following sending partners: Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cambodia, China (including the Hudec scholarships), Colombia, Ecuador, Egypt, Ethiopia, Georgia, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Korea, Kosovo, Kurdistan Regional Government/Iraq, Laos, Lebanon, Macedonia, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Myanmar, Namibia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, The Philippines, Russia, Serbia, Syria*, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Ukraine**, Uruguay, Vietnam, Yemen***
For part time programmes, students can apply from the following sending partners: Belarus, Cambodia, China (only Hudec applicants), Georgia, India, Iran, Japan, Korea, Laos, Lebanon, Mexico, Mongolia, Myanmar, Turkey, Vietnam
* There is a separate call for application for Syrian applicants, please click here for details.
**For applicants from Ukraine, the application deadline is extended to 1st April 2016.
***Only those Yemeni students can apply for the scholarship who are currently staying in Hungary.
Applications will not be considered in the following cases:
- Hungarian citizens (including those with dual citizenships),
- former Stipendium Hungaricum scholarship holders, who are re-applying for studies in the same cycle of education (e.g. bachelor, master, doctoral).
Please contact our website for more details about the programme and for frequently asked questions. Please contact the Stipendium Hungaricum Unit of Tempus Public Foundation in one of the following ways in case you need any further information.
We recommend all applicants to visit the Study in Hungary website (www.studyinhungary.hu) for detailed information about life and education in Hungary.
Along with the special personal appointments, the Stipendium Hungaricum Programme’s Office provides Open Hours three times a week:
IF YOU ARE IN HUNGARY, and you need a personal appointment at our office in Budapest, please sign-up for it here.
If you are NOT in Hungary and need information, then please contact us via e-mail, skype or phone.