The Bielefeld Graduate School in History and Sociology (BGHS) awards up to six four-month start-up scholarships to international MA graduates who would like to pursue a doctoral degree in history, sociology, anthropology, or political science at the BGHS. Recipients receive the opportunity to prepare a persuasive proposal for a dissertation project. Subsequently, they may apply for the doctoral degree programme at the BGHS and/or for scholarships, doctoral positions and funding programmes in Germany or worldwide.
Applicants should hold a Master's degree or equivalent in sociology, history, political science, social anthropology or gender studies; applications from related disciplines are welcome. We strongly encourage women to apply. Graduates from abroad who wish to pursue a doctoral degree in history, sociology, anthropology or political science may apply for a start-up scholarship. We welcome applications from pre-doctoral researchers. Applicants should speak either German or English fluently. Neither German nationals nor foreigners with a tertiary education from a German university may apply (Bildungsinländer/innen). The start-up scholarships are meant to further networking with scientists at the BGHS, therefore no prolonged archival or research trips should take place during this period.
Required application documents
Applications should be submitted until January 15, 2016 via the online application portal
Please submit the following documents:
- Covering letter (600 words max.) (guidelines)
- Curriculum Vitae (1,000 words max.) (guidelines)
- Summary of your MA thesis (600 words max.)
- Project description (800 words max.) (guidelines)
- Letter of recommendation from your supervisor/advisor at your university (If preferred, your supervisor/advisor can send the letter directly to the BGHS:email@example.com)
- University and college transcripts (Master's certificate or a statement from your examination office that you have successfully completed your Master's studies. All your grades, including the grade for your Master's thesis, must be displayed in this statement.)
Please read the FAQs carefully. They contain all important information on application requirements and procedures. Please also read the project description guidelines for information on formal design and content as well as the covering letter and curriculum vitae guidelines. Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.