School of Medicine Dean's Postdoctoral Fellowship
The School of Medicine Dean’s Postdoctoral Fellowships encourage and support young investigators in the first two years of their postdoctoral (Ph.D. or M.D.) research training at the School of Medicine and who are under the mentorship of faculty in the School of Medicine. With the goal to support current postdocs and to facilitate the recruitment of new scholars, support of a Dean's Fellowship is often used as "seed" money while outside funds are sought.
The following information includes eligibility criteria, additional application guidelines, selection criteria, funding information and a list of the required application materials.
Applicants are expected to ensure that both they and their faculty sponsor meet all eligibility criteria listed below and follow the application procedures. Applications from postdoctoral scholars and/or faculty sponsors who do not meet the fellowship guidelines will not be reviewed by the Dean's Postdoctoral Fellowship Review Committee.
A complete application must be submitted online by the deadline. Please start your online application early to allow enough time for the system to solicit the required form from your faculty mentor which is due at the same time as your application.
Please carefully read the selection criteria, eligibility criteria, program participation requirements, and funding guidelines before starting the application process.
A complete application consists of:
- Complete online application form
- Applicant’s NIH Biosketch
- Research proposal: (uploaded by applicant online): Two page limit, including any graphics or charts. The research proposal must be written by the fellow and reviewed by the faculty sponsor. These two pages should include a brief statement of proposed investigation in the following sections: Background, Goals, Hypothesis, and Experimental methods). Formatting guidelines require at least 1-inch margins at the top, bottom, left and right; and 12 point or larger font. Include title of project on both pages and number pages. References may only be included if they are part of your two-page proposal.
- Faculty Sponsor's Recommendation Form & Agreement (Note: this fellowship does not require a letter of recommendation.)
- Offer Letter - only if not currently appointed as a postdoctoral scholar in the Stanford School of Medicine
Please Note: This application does not go through RMG or OSR at Stanford.
The Dean’s Postdoctoral Fellowship Selection Committee consists of School of Medicine faculty of diverse interests and basic/translational focus. They assign priority scores to applications based on:
- Scientific merit of the proposal and its training relevance. The proposal must be written by the fellow and reviewed by the faculty sponsor. Priority is given to proposals of outstanding scientific merit that will provide a novel and complementary training environment for the trainee.
- Scientific Potential of the Trainee. Priority is given to trainees with the potential for independent and innovative biomedical research.
- Stage of Training. Priority is given to those trainees in the early phase of their postdoctoral training. The stage of funding is defined as the number of years as a postdoctoral fellow since your last doctoral degree. Clinical residency years are not considered relevant research years. If considerable time has elapsed since the doctoral degree, and that time was not spent engaged in research or clinical residency, the applicant is expected to describe in the application how the time was spent.
- Program Participation Requirement. Faculty Sponsor must have fulfilled program participation requirements for her/his previous Dean's Fellowship recipient(s).
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.