World on the move – and Europe? Migration, Identity, Security
April 17th - April 28th 2016
The objective of the Spring University Prague 2016, “World on the move – and Europe?”, is to provide students with a broad understanding of the broad historical, political, social and cultural context of the migration phenomenon, which has become one of the most significant issues in Europe. The course provides an interdisciplinary approach and combines multiple learning methods, such as lectures, workshops, round-table discussions, group-work and student presentations.
Students will not only have the opportunity to explore a range of interesting topics and gain valuable insights into some of the most important current challenges and risks to the development of Europe, but will also improve their research and presentation skills. Moreover, the numerous free-time activities will provide a chance to enjoy the wide range of attractions that Prague has to offer.
How to apply
- The programme is intended for students who are currently enrolled in a college or university or recently graduated.
- To be considered for admission, you have to submit the Online Application Form.
- The preliminary application deadline is February 22, 2016.
- Approximately 25-30 students will be admitted to the Spring University.
- As has been the case in past years, it is expected that the student body will be truly international.
- Students admitted to the program are expected to participate fully, which means attending all classes and lectures.
- A very good level of English is essential for successful participation in the Spring University.
After receiving your Application Form, the programme coordinator will inform you about the current state of the application process and ask you to send the following documents:
1/ Your CV (in English language)
2/ A document proving your enrollment in a college or university or your recent graduation (for example a confirmation letter/form issued by your university, copies of relevant diplomas and transcripts, etc. A scan or a photo of such a document is sufficient. It may be submitted in the language in which it was originally issued. If we need a translation, we will ask for it.)
3/ Proof of your knowledge of English (if you are not a native speaker). We require at least the B2 level of The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (http://www.linguanet-europa.org/pdfs/self-assessment-grid-en.pdf). You will be asked to send us either: a copy of a language exam certificate or an official confirmation that you have passed an university course in English or another course in English at the required level. In the case you study/studied an academic programme which is being taught entirely in English, the document proving your enrollment or graduation will be considered as a proof of your knowledge of English.
4/ A motivation letter would be welcome, but it is not a requirement.
Decisions on admission
- Decisions on admission are made on a rolling basis according the rounds described below.
- Applications which are received before December 14, 2015 will be reviewed on December 17, 2015. At that time we will offer maximally 30 students a position in the programme. Those selected will be asked to confirm their attendance and pay the programme fee within cca three weeks.
- Usually only 50 % of students who receive an offer to participate, actually decide to attend. Places which are not secured after the first round will be offered in several subsequent rounds. The second review of applications is planned for the middle of January, the third one for the end of January and so forth until all the places are taken.
- The programme coordinator will inform you about the exact dates and deadlines and also about the current number of remaining places.
- Students who are not successful in the first review round still have a relatively good chance to be admitted. Their applications are automatically reviewed again in the next rounds together with any newly incoming applications. The same is true for all former applications in the following review rounds.
Criteria for decisions on admission
- Your interest in international affairs and development in Europe (your field of study at the university, jobs and internships, volunteering, student competitions, other summer schools, etc.)
- Your year of study (more advanced students are being preferred)
- Intercultural competence (knowledge of foreign languages, experience of living, studying or working abroad, etc.)
In the case of very similar achievements in the criteria above, the country of origin may be taken into account. Because we are trying to create a truly international group of students, we would prefer to offer the possibility to participate in our programme to students from a diverse set of countries around the world.
Some statistics about the application process from one of our previous programs,
the Spring University Prague 2015:
- 130 Online Application Forms received
- 51 % of these applicants sent us all the required documents
- 55 applicants got an offer to participate in our spring study programme
- 30 students participated in April 2015 (the capacity was full)
- 17 % of students who sent us all the required documents were not admitted
If you have problems with on-line application form, you can also apply via e-mail, post or fax:
Spring University 2016
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences
Smetanovo nabrezi 6
CZ-110 00 Praha 1
Tel: (+420) 251 080 250
Fax: (+420) 251 620 294
Facebook: Spring and Summer Universities Prague
Fees and Cost
The programme fee is 770 EUR. (approx. 830 USD)
This is a total price and includes:
- Tuition (all lectures, workshops, discussions, etc. as mentioned in the programme)
- Cultural and social events (as mentioned in the programme)
- Reading materials (an on-line version will be at your disposal after enrolling)
- Housing at the Hall of Residence
- 2 meals per day (breakfast and lunch)
- advice and help of our team during whole your stay in Prague
Thanks to the generosity of Charles University which has international cooperation and student exchange as its highest priority you can make use of a relatively low cost of the Spring University in comparison with other spring or summer schools. For very reasonable price you will get the highest academic standards and an exciting cultural and social programme. Moreover, accommodation, meals and reading materials are prepared for you, so you don’t have to worry about anything. You can concentrate only on studying and enjoying yourself.
The only costs not included in the price are transportation, dinners, medical insurance and pocket money.
In case you are accepted, paid the fee, and find out that you cannot participate in the spring school for any reason, we will refund you 90 % at any moment until February 22, 2016. The rest of the sum will be used on transfer fees, labour costs and storno fees. Later cancellations are solved on an individual basis.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: