Higher Education Commission of Pakistan is offering a six month research fellowship abroad to those students who are enrolled in full time PhD programs in Pakistan. This is providing exposure to the PhD scholars which will enhance the quality of research that they will be conducting in Pakistan. This opportunity also provides to develop linkages between Pakistani and foreign institutions.
The objectives of the program are:
- To enhance the quality of doctoral research in Pakistan.
- To create a critical mass of highly qualified manpower that could contribute towards the development of Pakistan.
- To facilitate assimilation, absorption and transfer of important and promising scientific and technological knowledge information to achieve repaid economic progress.
- To provide opportunities to doctoral students for training/ research work at advanced research labs of reputed universities abroad and to interact with foreign scientist working at frontiers of knowledge.
- To explore avenues for further collaboration internationally.
- To introduce Pakistani talent globally.
- To disseminate information about research in Pakistan.
- To bring standard of doctoral research at par with international standards.
- AJK/Pakistani national who is full time PhD student
- Completed coursework of 18 credit hours, at least.
- Scholar is eligible to apply after 2 year of enrollment and maximum up to 3.5 years in PhD program.
- Passed the international GRE subject test offered by ETS where applicable OR passed the local GAT subject test.
- Who has an approved PhD research topic and synopsis by the Board of Advanced Studies and Research (BASR) or
- Directorate of Advanced Studies and Research (DASR) or equivalent body of the university
- Who has an official acceptance/invitation letter for research from a foreign university/institute/ lab. The university/institute must be listed in top 200 universities list (either subject wise or over all ranking) as per Times Ranking of World Universities.
- Your Foreign Supervisor should not be an ex-supervisor of your Local Supervisor.
For Selection Committee Meetings after June 2013, upper world ranking limit of foreign university has been reduced to top 200 universities for the applicants from all disciplines Agriculture & Veterinary Science, Biological & Medical Science and Physical Science, Engineering & Technology, Social Sciences subjects.
Those Scholars who are already availing any other HEC scholarship are also eligible to apply provided they submit NOC from their concerned HEC dealing officer.
The acceptance letter must be issued by the head of department/ senior professors. Acceptance letters issued by Lecturers, Lab Instructors/expert won't be acceptable. The acceptance letter must include at least following:
- Brief overview of work to be carried out during the foreign visit.
- Brief details of research facilities available at foreign Lab.
- Plan of research work/activities to be carried out at foreign university
- Duration of research in months.
- Bench fee amount if required. No claim of bench fee will be entertained if not mentioned in the original offer letter.
- Terms and conditions of the invitation, if any.
- Complete address, contact details (phone, fax, email) of the proposed foreign professor.
There is no deadline or last date for submission of applications. Applicants can apply whole long the year as soon as they fulfill basic requirements of the scholarship.
For more information click "Further official information" below.