The Singapore International Graduate Award (SINGA) is a collaboration between the Agency for Science, Technology & Research (A*STAR), the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), the National University of Singapore (NUS) and the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). PhD training will be carried out in English at your chosen lab at A*STAR Research Institutes, NTU, NUS or SUTD. Students will be supervised by distinguished and world-renowned researchers in these labs. Upon successful completion, students will be conferred a PhD degree by either NTU, NUS or SUTD.
"We want to encourage more such exchanges, to build friendships and mutual understanding. This is why we are introducing a new Singapore International Graduate Award (or SINGA), for international students to do their PhD training in a multi-disciplinary environment in Singapore. 240 SINGA Awards will be given every year to top students from all over the world. I hope that this will enhance the close educational ties between our countries and will bring our young talents even closer together."
Extracted from Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's speech at the Honorary Doctorate Degree Conferment Ceremony, Eotvos Lorand University, 9 October 2007, Budapest, Hungary
Why do PhD research in Singapore?
- One of the fastest-growing economies in the vibrant Asia-Pacific region
- The best place in Asia to live, work and play
(Source: Mercer Human Resource Consulting, 2005-2006)
- Home to over 7,000 multi-national companies, many of which have Research & Development centres, manufacturing facilities or Regional Headquarter activities
- Vibrant Venture Capital market worth over US$10 billion, allowing ideas/innovations to be commercialised
- Globally linked nation with a multicultural population
There are 2 admission points for SINGA per academic year - August and January intakes. For admission in August, application is open after the closing date of the previous intake to 1 January of the current year. (E.g., for August 2009 intake, application is open after the closing date of January 2009 intake to 1 January of 2009.) For admission in January, application is open after the closing date of the previous intake to 1 June of the previous year. (E.g., for January 2010 intake, application is open after the closing date of August 2009 intake to 1 June of 2009.)
How To Apply
Application for January 2017 intake has closed. Go to "Further official information" link below this article to apply for August 2017 intake.
Please note that the application deadline for August 2017 intake is 1 January 2017. Only applications with complete supporting documents submitted before or on 1 January 2017 (2359hrs GMT+8 SINGAPORE Time) will be processed.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION (PLEASE READ):
Please ensure that the information you provide during registration for an account in the application portal is accurate, as the information will be used for verification upon your first log-in.
Please ensure that you apply for the correct scholarship – “Singapore International Graduate Award (SINGA)” – in the application portal after logging in.
Softcopies of the following supporting documents must be uploaded during your online application:
- Identity card or Passport
- A recent passport-sized photo in JPEG/PNG format
- Bachelor’s Academic Transcripts (in English translation)
- Bachelor’s Degree Certificate / Scroll (in English translation) or a letter of certification from the university on your candidature if your degree certificate / scroll has not yet been conferred
- Master’s Academic Transcripts, if any (in English translation)
- Master’s Degree Certificate / Scroll, if any (in English translation) or a letter of certification from the university on your candidature if your degree certificate / scroll has not yet been conferred
2 recommendation reports (to be completed and submitted online by the referees)
Not compulsory but good to include (if available):
GRE / IELTS / TOEFL / SAT I & II / GATE results
Please note that you are NOT required to mail the hard copies of the abovementioned documents to the SINGA Office. The SINGA Office shall not be responsible for any loss of documents.
Please note that you are strongly advised to submit your application as early as possible, so as to provide ample time for your referees to submit their online recommendation reports in the portal before the application deadline. Only applications with 2 recommendation reports submitted before the above stipulated application deadline will be processed.
Please check and ensure that all data you have entered in the online application form is correct and accurate before you submit the application. Amendments to the application will NOT be possible after it is submitted.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified within 10 weeks from the application closing date.
To APPLY click "Further official information" link below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: