A programme to promote young women researchers
Shortcuts is a programme to promote young women researchers financed by the BGHS, the Faculty of Sociology and the Department of History of the Faculty of History, Philosophy and Theology. The programme was initiated in the 2010 Summer Term and aims to actively support young women in their transition from masters to doctoral level. There are two components to Shortcuts: Workshops that aid preparations for doctoral study andscholarships for young women researchers. The programme starts every fall, a call for application is published every spring.
Workshops on preparing for doctoral study
The Shortcuts programme consists of workshops on fundamental questions about doctoral study and academic careers. Workshops focus on both clarifying dissertation topics and writing a proposal as well as on possible fellowships and other financial support during the doctoral phase. Experienced trainers, teachers, and BGHS personnel help participants to find a topic and clarify their motivation and support them in writing a proposal and applying for doctoral positions, fellowships and admission to a doctoral programme. A further element of the programme is regular exchange with other (future) doctoral researchers. Participants also have the opportunity to ask their own questions related to the topic of doctoral studies.
Please submit the following documents:
- A one-page covering letter specifying your interest in a Shortcuts scholarship (around 400 words)
- Curriculum vitae
- Research proposal detailing your prospective doctoral thesis (700 words max.)
- A summary of your Master's or diploma thesis (700 words max.)
- Letter of recommendation from your previous supervisor/advisor regarding your academic qualification
- Your Master's or Diploma transcript or a preliminary certificate of completion from your Examination Office. This certificate must contain all marks including the final thesis mark. Please note that you can hand in your certificate and the transcript by the start of the Shortcuts scholarship. In this case, please add a confirmation document that you will have completely finished your studies by 1 September 2014.
Please e-mail all application documents in either German or English as one PDF file by 15 June 2015 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Under "re." please write Shortcuts scholarship. The letter of recommendation can be mailed separately to the Graduate School. If you have any questions, feel free to write us at the e-mail address above.