School of European Culture and Languages University Research Scholarships, University of Kent
The School of European Culture and Languages is delighted to be able to offer up to six University Research Scholarships for new PhD students starting in the academic year 2016/17:
- The scholarships cover full home/EU fees plus a maintenance grant and a salary which will total an amount equivalent to that offered by the Research Councils for 2016
- The scholarships will be offered for one year in the first instance, renewable for a maximum of three years, subject to satisfactory academic performance
- Recipients will be expected to undertake four hours of teaching per week over the three years of the award.
- New doctoral students studying in the following fields are eligible to apply: Classical and Archaeological Studies, Comparative Literature, English Language and Linguistics, Modern Languages (French, German, Hispanic Studies, Italian), Philosophy and Religious Studies
- The University Research Scholarship competition is open to UK, EU and overseas fee-paying students.
University Research Scholarships will be awarded to outstanding applicants able to demonstrate a high level of academic achievement, excellent communication skills, and the potential to make a strong contribution to their chosen field of research. Candidates must:
- Hold a good honours degree (First or 2.1) or a Master’s degree at Merit or Distinction in a relevant subject or equivalent
- Hold an offer of a place on a full-time doctoral research degree in the School of European Culture and Languages for the academic year commencing September 2016
- Have a high-quality research proposal
- Have excellent communication skills, both written and oral, suited to undergraduate teaching
How to apply
- Candidates must make a formal application to study on a SECL doctoral programme, by 4 March 2016
- Candidates must also complete the SECL University Research Scholarship application form by 4 March 2016
- The completed form should be sent to the SECL Postgraduate Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Interviews are scheduled to take place during the week beginning 21 March 2016
- For full terms and conditions of the University Research Scholarship awards, please see the University of Kent's scholarships webpages.
Note that these scholarships are only open to new students. Any current PhD students within SECL should check this website in June 2016 to see whether new scholarships for current students are announced.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: