The diversity that international students contribute to our community enriches it immeasurably. UBC recognizes the academic achievement of outstanding students from around the world by devoting more than $10 million CAD annually to awards, scholarships, and other forms of financial support for international undergraduate students.
International Major Entrance Scholarship
Each year, International Major Entrance Scholarships (IMES) are awarded to exceptional international students entering undergraduate programs at UBC. Students receive their scholarships when they enter their first year at UBC, and the scholarships are renewable for up to three additional years of study.
The scholarship totals up to $40,000 CAD, payable at up to $10,000 CAD per year for four years. The exact number and level of scholarships varies each year, depending on available funding.
Am I eligible?
To be considered for the IMES, you must
- be a new student to UBC, entering directly from secondary school
- be an international student who will be studying at UBC on a Canadian study permit (student visa). (Changes to your citizenship status will affect your IMES eligibility.)
- demonstrate exceptional academic achievement, intellectual promise, as well as impressive extracurricular and community involvement
- apply to UBC by January 15
Outstanding International Student Award
The Outstanding International Student (OIS) Award is a one-time merit-based entrance scholarship awarded to qualified students when they are offered admission to UBC. Grades and the Personal Profile are reviewed for consideration for the award. OIS amounts range from $2,500 to $10,000 CAD.
Am I eligible?
To be considered for an OIS Award, you must
- be new to UBC, entering directly from secondary school or post-secondary (university or college)
- be an international student studying at UBC on a Canadian study permit (student visa). (Changes to your citizenship status will affect your scholarship eligibility.)
- demonstrate outstanding academic achievement and strong extra-curricular involvement
- apply to UBC by January 15I’ve applied to UBC. But what about the OIS and IMES?
You probably have some questions about how the OIS and IMES are awarded, when you’ll hear from UBC about them, and when you’ll get the money. Here are some answers:
Do I need to apply for admission by a certain date to be considered for OIS and IMES?
You must submit your UBC application for admission by January 15 in order to be considered for the OIS and IMES.
How will I be considered for OIS or IMES?
All international students are automatically considered for the OIS and/or IMES as soon as they have received an offer of admission to UBC. After you have received an offer of admission, your UBC application will be reviewed a second time – for OIS and IMES consideration. If you are selected for an award, you will be notified no more than three weeks after being offered admission to UBC.
Merit- and need-based awards
International Scholars Program
UBC’s International Scholars Program offers significant support for outstanding international undergraduate students through the International Leader of Tomorrow Award and the Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award. Learn more about these awards, including how to be nominated.
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC
The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC provides academically talented yet economically disadvantaged young people from Sub-Saharan Africa with access to quality and relevant university education at UBC. Learn more about the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC, including how to be nominated.
Vantage One Excellence Award
This award is offered to students beginning their undergraduate studies at UBC in the Vantage One Program who demonstrate both academic excellence and financial need. Learn more about the Vantage One Excellence Award, including eligibility requirements.
Scholarships and awards for current international students
UBC continues to support international students through a variety of in-program scholarships and awards. Scholarship and award amounts will vary, as will their renewability – the largest amount is currently $5,000 per year. To find out about the scholarships and awards that are available to current international UBC students, visit "Further official information" below.
- Scholarships and awards for current students – Vancouver campus
- Scholarships and awards for current students – Okanagan campus
For more information click "Further official information" below.