Scholarship for the study of 20th-century glass-making art in Venice
Thanks to the contribution of Pentagram Stiftung, the Fondazione Giorgio Cini offers 1 six-month residential scholarship worth 12,500 euros for the purpose of studying 20th-century glassmaking art in Venice.
Part of the Stanze del Vetro project, the scholarship will be awarded to an Italian or foreign1 undergraduate or graduate student (PhD or post-doctorate) wishing to spend six months doing research at the Glass Study Center in the Institute of Art History in the period April–December 2017.
Candidates shall propose a research topic preferably focused on the archives and documents in the Glass Study Center.
Candidates are invited to contact directly the Glass Study Center (firstname.lastname@example.org) to book a visit and view its archive materials.
TYPE OF SCHOLARSHIP
The six-month residential scholarship is awarded to undergraduate and graduate scholars (PhD and post-doctorate).
The scholarship will be divided as follows:
- a gross sum2 of 6,200 euros as a contribution to general expenses, travel and board, paid in two equal installments at the end of each three-month period by bank or postal order only;
- accommodation free of charge (equivalent to a conventional cost of 6,300 euros) for six consecutive months in the Vittore Branca Center Residence on the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore and free use of the Vittore Branca Center facilities.
WHAT THE VITTORE BRANCA CENTER HAS TO OFFER
The Vittore Branca International Center for the Study of Italian Culture offers the opportunity for interdisciplinary exchanges with fellow scholars attending the Center as well as with the academic community at the Fondazione Giorgio Cini.
Facilities and benefits include:
- The Libraries and Photo Library in the Fondazione Giorgio Cini, specialized in art history, Venetian history, literature, music, dance, drama and early printed books. The libraries are equipped with wi-fi. Vittore Branca Center scholars can enjoy advice by specialists and the possibility of borrowing books.
- Cultural events (seminars, conferences, exhibitions, concerts, etc.) organized by the Fondazione Giorgio Cini. Residents thus have the opportunity to explore the broader background to their own work.
- The Residence - situated in the grounds of the Island, the Residence can accommodate around 90 scholars in self-catering mini-apartments with a telephone, connection to Internet and shared laundry services. Kitchen facilities enable residents to economize on food expenses. The Residence also has reception, surveillance and cleaning services plus a laundromat and food dispensers. To encourage social life and exchanges of ideas, there are shared spaces for use by all guests: the living room, music room, fitness area and terrace
- Tutors to assist scholarship holders in becoming familiar with the island and its documentary and artistic heritage as well as offering guidance about the cultural offering of the Fondazione Giorgio Cini and the city of Venice in general.
- Other services, such as:
- a work station with wi-fi in the Nuova Manica Lunga, the Fondazione’s main documentary center;
- an international newspaper library, available in the Residence living room;
- social initiatives specifically aimed at residents;
- guidance on the Venetian heritage and on how to use libraries and archives in the city of Venice.
OBLIGATIONS FOR SCHOLARSHIP HOLDERS
To receive payment and to continue enjoying the benefits of the scholarship at the Vittore Branca Center, scholarship holders are required to:
– stay in the Vittore Branca Center Residence for six consecutive months in the chosen period (April 2017 to December 2017). Trips for research purposes, attending conferences or work commitments related to the research project at the Vittore Branca Center must be documented in writing in advance and will not be added to the days of absence for personal reasons. Days of absence for personal reasons must not add up to more than 30 working days. Absences are counted from Monday to Saturday; Sundays are excluded;
– present their research project to the academic and professional community at the Fondazione and to scholars and researchers at the Vittore Branca Center during the scholarship period;
– report regularly to their academic tutor on research work in progress and submit a threemonthly written report of 10 pages on the status of their research project;
– mention the scholarship, using the exact wording, in their curriculum vitae and in any publications associated with their research at the the Fondazione Giorgio Cini Institute of Art History.
HOW TO APPLY AND SELECTION
Fondazione Giorgio Cini onlus Secretariat - Vittore Branca Center
for the Study of Italian Culture Island of San Giorgio Maggiore 30124 Venice Italy
Applications shall be sent by 28 February 2017 with the following enclosed documents:
- application form – (downloadable from: www.cini.it/wpcontent/uploads/2014/11/2015-APPLICATION-FORM.pdf) / printed document
- degree certificate(s) with marks for individual exams, or an equivalent or superior qualification / printed document
- a copy of a degree dissertation (for PhD students) or doctorate thesis (for postdoctorate researchers) and copies of any other relevant academic works / on USB pen or DVD
- curriculum vitae, including knowledge of languages, and authorization to handle private data according to Italian Legislative Decree 196/2003 / printed document
- description of the research topic (around 1,500 words) proposed by the candidate, specifying aims, time scale, and materials and documents to be consulted at the Fondazione Giorgio Cini / printed document
- 2 reference letters from professors and scholars on headed paper who supervise or have supervised the candidate / optional
Candidates considered to be suitable on the grounds of the documents presented will be invited for an interview in Italian or English by telephone or video-link with one or more directors of the Fondazione Giorgio Cini Institute of Art History and may be asked to provide supplementary information.
The scholarships will be awarded by the Fondazione Giorgio Cini Institute of Art History with no right of appeal.
Both positive and negative results of the assessment of the scholarship applications will be communicated by end of March 2017
The Fondazione Giorgio Cini will not return any of the documents received. Any candidates wishing to have their documents returned shall arrange a courier at their own expense.
Anyone who has already been awarded a scholarship to the Vittore Branca Center is not eligible to re-apply, whereas previously unsuccessful candidates may apply again.
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: