ICOHTEC/CIUHCT Summer School is an innovative initiative organized by ICOHTEC (International Committee for the History of Technology) and the Portuguese research center CIUHCT (Interuniversity Centre for the History of Science and Technology), which aims at enriching the 43rd annual ICOHTEC meeting by associating a 3-day intensive seminar course targeting PhD students and young post-doctoral scholars. The Summer School features an original format that brings together conventional seminars and the participation in the ICOHTEC meeting and fulfills both CIUHCT’s training mission and ICOHTEC’s ambition of organizing regular Summer Schools.
The topic of the ICOHTEC/CIUHCT Summer School is Rethinking Technology, Innovation, and Sustainability: Historical and Contemporary Narratives. It aims at providing historical insight into the multifarious relations between the production and uses of technologies and the contemporary challenge of implementing local, national, and global strategies for sustainable development. The ongoing interdisciplinary discussion on the economic, social, political, and cultural meanings of the Anthropocene calls for a critical assessment of the role of science and technology in today’s development paths. By using the lens of the History of Technology, this Summer School addresses the co-evolution of scientific and technological agency, the exploitation of natural resources and the creation of new, artificial environments.
All students who complete the programme will receive an attendance certificate.
Level and demands
Who is the programme for?
- Ph.D students with a subject-appropriate academic background
- Post-doctoral researchers with a subject-appropriate academic background
- Participants are expected to
- Be able to speak, read and write in English.
- Undertake preparatory reading in advance of the programme.
- Attend all lectures and seminar sessions.
- Be actively engaged with their seminar topics.
- Attend the ICOHTEC 2016 Meeting.
- Submit a final assignment of 2000-2500 words on one of the topics discussed.
Apply for this course
- Deadline for application: February 29, 2016.
- Applicants must send the following data to email@example.com:
- A brief cv, which must include the main personal data, academic training and career and the e-mail for further contact.
- A brief statement of purpose (350-400 words) detailing your academic reasons for wishing to attend the summer school. This should include what you hope to get out of the programme, and what you are likely to contribute to the intellectual life of the summer school. This may include details of history, politics, political or social science courses you have previously taken, or the relevance of the summer school to your present course of study or professional development.
- A letter of recommendation, specifically to your application to the CIUHCT/ICOHTEC Summer School.
- The subject line of the email should be "Summer School Application".
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
After you have submitted your application
- You will receive in the e-mail you provided an email from us confirming receipt of your application materials
- Results will be communicated to the applicants by March 15 to the e-mail provided by the applicant.
- Applicants who are offered a place on the summer school must respond in writing within 14 days to accept or decline the offer.
- Students will be formally enrolled on the summer school once they have accepted their offer of a place.
- The enrolment process includes the issuing of invoices, which will be sent to students together with full instructions for payment.
If you have any remaining queries, please contact the Programme Administrators by email firstname.lastname@example.org.