Scheme at a glance
Early, Intermediate, Returning to research
Level of funding
Salary and research expenses covered
Duration of funding
Up to 3 years
Who can apply
You can apply for a Research Fellowship if you're:
- a postdoctoral researcher who wants to carry out an extended period of enquiry on your own project
- not in a tenured or long-term established post (including a rolling contract)
- based (or plan to be based) in the UK, Republic of Ireland or a low- or middle-income country.
You must have sponsorship from an eligible host organisation.
In most cases, applicants should have been awarded a PhD before they apply.
What we're looking for
Our reviewers will assess:
- the significance of your proposed research
- the strength of your approach
- your track record
- the suitability of the host environment for your research and for the development of your independent career.
Most successful applicants will be pursuing university research careers. But we also encourage researchers who want to follow health-related research careers elsewhere.
What's expected of your host organisation
You must have an eligible sponsoring organisation that will administer your fellowship for the full duration of the award. You should give careful thought to your choice of sponsor and supervisor/research mentor; they should have strong track records in research, training and mentorship.
Your sponsor should be based at an eligible sponsoring organisation that will administer your fellowship for the full duration of the award. The sponsor should hold an established post and be in a position to guarantee you space and facilities for the full period of the fellowship.
Your supervisor or research mentor should:
- provide support and advice during the application process and the period of the award
- be committed to helping you achieve your career aspirations.
Your sponsor can also be your research sponsor or mentor.
Seed Awards in Humanities and Social Science
Investigator Awards in Humanities and Social Science
Research Awards for Health Professionals
How to Apply
Stages of application
Submit your full application
View a sample full application form for Seed Awards in Humanities and Social Science.
Review and decision
We’ll determine the suitability and competitiveness of all eligible proposals, and give you a decision within 12 to 14 weeks of the application deadline. There are no interviews. In general, we don’t provide detailed written feedback to unsuccessful applicants.
We consider applications three times a year. We don't accept late applications.
Full application deadline
27 September 2016 (was 5 August 2016)