There's still time to submit an application for the 4th ENCATC Research Award on Cultural Policy and Cultural Management!
Emerging researchers from all over the world are invited to apply who have recently published a PhD thesis, exploring through comparative and cross-cultural research, issues at stake and taking a step from evaluative (descriptive) to comparative applied research.
This prestigious recognition aims to stimulate academic research in the field of cultural policy and cultural management with an emphasis on its applied implications. The ENCATC Award also has the ambition to contribute to the process of creating a network of scholars who are competent in doing comparative research projects in cultural policy and cultural management.
The winner will be revealed at the 2017 ENCATC Research Award Ceremony on 28 September during 25th ENCATC Congress on Cultural Management and Policy (27-30 September 2017 in Brussels, Belgium).
Granted each year, the Award consists of the translation of the winning PhD thesis into English and its publication in the Cultural Management and Cultural Policy Education Book Series, a new series of publications specialising in topics related to cultural management and cultural policy headed by ENCATC. The international dissemination of the ENCATC Book Series is ensured by Peter Lang, an international publishing group.
Schedule for the 2017 call
The schedule for the 2017 call for Award applications is as follows:
- 23 June (deadline extended) : Closing date for applications
- 10 August: Notification of shortlisted candidates
- 28 September: ENCATC Research Award Ceremony in Brussels
An international Jury will evaluate the applications and select the winner. For this Award, ENCATC uses a very broad definition of culture, going from the arts, heritage and culture to the cultural and creative sectors. In 2017, the thematic areas (not exclusive) for the competition are the following:
- Developing intercultural and trans-national dimensions of cultural policies and cultural management issues;
- Culture as tool for soft power;
- Creativity, entrepreneurship and innovation;
- Participation and digitization;
- Values and ethics in cultural policy and cultural management;
- Business models;
- Internationalisation of networks.
- Quality of the research and the research methodology
- Innovative character
- International dimension of the research
- Comparative perspective of the research
- Relevance and inspiration for the field and/or for policy makers
Targets & eligibility
The ENCATC Award targets emerging researchers in the field of cultural policy and cultural management up from Europe and the rest of the world.
The PhD thesis submitted to the call must have been defended between the dates of 01/01/2016 and 30/05/2017 and be qualified with cum laude or equivalent in your country’s higher education system. All the PhD’s must be presented in English although the original version can be in another language.
Each Award applicant must be supported by his or her university in the form of two letters of recommendation by members of university's jury/assessment board involved in the public defense process.
How to apply
Prepare your application and submit documents
Candidates must fill in the online application form and upload the following documents into the online application system:
- A cover letter
- A 3,000 word summary of the PhD thesis in English
- Letters of recommendation of two members of university's jury/assessment board involved in the public defense process
For your application to be processed, all candidates are required to pay the 30€ application processing fee.
- Payment must be done in EUROS into the following bank account with reference “Award application fee – YOUR SURNAME”.
- Please make sure that bank and administrative transfer costs are at your charge.
- Applicants are requested to show proof of payment (uploading a print screen for example) in their online application system.
- Applications which do not meet eligibility criteria or do not respect the application procedure will rejected automatically.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: