About the award
The Raiziss/de Palchi Translation Awards recognize outstanding translations into English of modern Italian poetry through a $10,000 book prize and a $25,000 fellowship, given in alternating years.
The Raiziss/de Palchi Translation Awards Fund was established in 1995 through a bequest to The New York Community Trust by Sonia Raiziss Giop, a poet, translator, and long-time editor of Chelsea. The Trust has selected the Academy to administer the award.
The Raiziss/de Palchi Fellowship will be given in 2017 for the translation of modern Italian poetry. The fellowship is given to enable an American translator to travel, study, or otherwise advance a significant work-in-progress. The Academy invites applications from American translators currently engaged in the translation of twentieth-century Italian poetry. The winning translator will receive an award of $25,000 and a five week residency at the American Academy in Rome.
Submissions are accepted September 15 through February 15 each year. Postmark deadline: February 15.
The judges for the 2017 Raiziss/de Palchi Fellowship are Maria Luisa Ardizzone, Antonello Borra, and Alessandro Carrera.
- To apply, a translator must submit four copies of a proposal describing the work-in-progress, the applicant’s credentials, and how the fellowship money will be used. Applications should be no longer than five pages double-spaced.
- The applicant must verify that he or she has obtained permission to translate the poems specified in his or her application or that the poems are in the public domain.
- The translator must submit 15 sample pages of the translation in progress as well as copies of the original poems.
- Each application must be accompanied by a completed entry form signifying the applicant’s acceptance of these guidelines.
- Applications must be postmarked between September 15, 2016 and February 15, 2017. Applications will not be returned.
- The Academy will award the winning translator a fellowship of $25,000. The fellowship winner will also receive a five-week residency at the American Academy in Rome.
- The fellowship recipient must submit a report at the end of the fellowship year, describing his or her progress, as well as a copy of the completed work or revised manuscript.
- If published, the work-in-progress must include an acknowledgement of The Academy of American Poets and the Raiziss/de Palchi Translation Awards Fund of The New York Community Trust.
- The decisions of the Academy of American Poets as to eligibility are final.
- The Academy reserves the right not to award the fellowship in any given year
Translators please send four copies of all materials to:
The Raiziss/de Palchi Fellowship
Academy of American Poets
75 Maiden Lane, Suite 901
New York, NY 10038
For more information, please contact:
For more information click "Further official information" below.