Prime Minister’s Scholarships for Latin America
The Prime Minister’s Scholarships for Latin America (PMSLA) is a programme funded by the New Zealand government and administered by Education New Zealand. The scholarship aims to:
- strengthen New Zealand institutions’ connections with their counterparts in key Latin America countries
- promote understanding of the strength and quality of New Zealand’s education system and raise awareness in Latin America of New Zealand as a preferred education destination
- improve the international skills of the New Zealand workforce
- strengthen people to people connections between New Zealand and countries in Latin America through participants building lifelong friendships and networks.
- strengthen New Zealand’s ability to engage with key Latin American trading partners
- improve New Zealanders’ understanding of Latin American business practice and culture
Preference is currently for applicants undertaking appropriate programmes in Colombia and Brazil. Other Latin American countries such as Mexico, Chile, Argentina and Peru are also included. Individuals or groups may check with ENZ if preferred destination institution is not listed as having a formal relationship with a New Zealand institution. It may still meet requirements.
You can find out more about institutions in Latin America, and where they are ranked in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, by visiting their website.
For more information on institutions and programmes, please email email@example.com.
Recipients must spend 4 weeks actively on programme in Latin America, up to a maximum of two years.
Semester breaks or holidays occurring during the programme will be supported up to a total of 2 weeks.
Applicants must propose programmes that can be demonstrated to be linked to New Zealand’s education, economic or trade agenda in Latin America, and may include business, social sciences, the creative arts and culture, indigenous studies, ICT/new media.] Programmes can be either:
- An undergraduate or postgraduate part or whole programme in a relevant subject area at an approved institution. Exchange programmes are included here.
- Study programmes must be a minimum of 20 hours per week
- A full-time or part-time internship of between 4 to 12 weeks arranged through an ENZ approved broker. If the internship is part-time, it must be combined with a concurrent programme of study [eg language study] that brings total hours to 30 hours per week. Internships for longer than 12 weeks may be considered.
- Education, trade or economic-related research or development including development/research for intending or existing teachers of Spanish and Portuguese, to target countries, including cooperative or independent research at educational institutions, libraries and other facilities. Research applicants must be currently enrolled at a New Zealand tertiary institution.
WHO CAN APPLY?
At the date of application candidates must be at least 18 years old and be New Zealand citizens or Permanent Resident holders of a minimum 2 years.
Applicants who meet the eligibility criteria and whose programme clearly meets the goals of the scholarship, will additionally be expected to display academic strengths and personal attributes such as independence, initiative, maturity, and confidence . . . plus
- The potential to succeed in academic study abroad
- The ability to represent New Zealand (and, where relevant, their home institution) positively; particularly
- the quality of a New Zealand education experience
- And most importantly - be willing and prepared to put into practice the aims of the scholarship.
To APPLY click "Further official information" below and fill the application form.