About the PMSA
The Prime Minister's Scholarships for Asia (PMSA) is a scholarship programme funded by the New Zealand government and administered by Education New Zealand. Established in June 2013, the scholarship is awarded to individuals and covers costs relating to study or research in Asia.
The scholarship’s goals are to:
- strengthen New Zealand’s ability to engage with key Asian trading partners
- improve the international skills of the New Zealand workforce
- improve the internationalisation of New Zealand tertiary institutions
- increase international understanding of the strength and quality of New Zealand's education system
- establish connections between New Zealand and other countries through participants building lifelong friendships and networks
- strengthen New Zealanders' understanding of other cultures.
Countries: Approved destinations are ASEAN countries such as Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, Philippines, Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia and Brunei Darussalam, as well as China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, India and Sri Lanka.
Institutions: We want PMSA recipients to study at great institutions, so preference is for top 500 educational institutions or educational institutions with whom a New Zealand educational institution has a formal agreement or partnership.
Value of the award
The two categories of eligible programme each have their own funding policy.
1. Exchange Programmes
PMSA funding for exchange programmes is awarded based on the duration of the programme and the quality of the candidate and their application with regards to the goals of the PMSA. Successful exchange PMSA candidates will be awarded between $200 and $250 per week, for each week they are actively on programme in Asia.
2. Independent programmes (non-exchange)
PMSA candidates on non-exchange programmes may request funding for legitimate and reasonable expenses pertinent to the completion of the proposed programme.
- Approved expenses include, but are not necessarily limited to;
- Tuition/programme fees for your Asian institution
- Economy flights to and from your Asian destination
- Accommodation (while actively on programme)
- Living expenses (while actively on programme)
- Insurance (while actively on programme, including travel to and from Asia)
Applicants who meet the eligibility criteria and whose study programme clearly meets the goals and requirements of the scholarship will additionally be expected to display academic strengths and personal attributes such as independence, initiative, maturity, and confidence . . . plus:
- The potential to succeed in academic study abroad
- The ability to represent New Zealand positively; particularly the quality of a New Zealand education experience
- The willingness and preparedness to put into practice the objectives of the scholarship.
How to apply
- Download and complete the individual application form (available below)
- Submit completed application form and required documents in hard copy by the Application Deadline (see below).
- By post: Education New Zealand, Scholarships Manager, PO Box 12-041, Wellington 6144
- By courier: Education New Zealand, Scholarships Manager, Level 5, 160 Lambton Quay, Wellington Central 6011
There are two PMSA rounds a year. Late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances.
- March Round: Applications must be received by 5pm 30 March
- September Round: Applications must be received by 5pm 30 September
Documents for Download
New Zealand institutions may submit group application/s for scholarship support on behalf of students wishing to travel to target countries on exchange or study abroad programmes, or on specifically-tailored study programmes in Asia. Contact Education New Zealand to request a current Institutional Application Form and to discuss your programme.