Presidential Scholarship, University of Iowa
The Presidential Scholarship at the University of Iowa
Since the Presidential Scholarship was established in 1979, the University of Iowa has honored our most promising young scholars with our highest levels of funding, recognition, and community.
Each year up to twenty scholars are chosen to receive funding for up to four years or until the completion of the student’s bachelor’s degree (whichever comes first). The amount of each Presidential Scholarship is determined by the scholar’s residency status. These totals are outlined below:
- Iowa residents: Up to $74,000 (up to $18,500 a year up to four years)
- Nonresidents: Up to $80,000 (up to $20,000 a year up to four years)
- International Students: $40,000 ($10,000 a year up to four years)
In addition to the scholarship, each student has access to a spectrum of distinctive activities designed to foster extraordinary intellectual, professional, and personal growth, including:
- participation in the Presidential Scholars seminar course taught by the Director of Honors at Iowa,
- access to first-year funding and guidance from the Iowa Center for Research by Undergraduates .
- support for university, local, and global social and service experiences,
- engagement with visiting scholars, distinguished faculty, and campus leaders,
- advising on national and international scholarship, fellowship, and grant competitions,
- membership in the Presidential Scholars Program, our currrent community of scholars here on campus.
To be eligible for the Presidential Scholarship, individuals must:
- apply to and be admitted to the University of Iowa,
- earn at least a 3.80 high school GPA (on a 4.00 scale); and
- achieve a minimum ACT composite score of 30 or a combined SAT critical reading and math score of at least 1330.
The Presidential Scholarship is awarded on the basis of an individual’s demonstrated record of:
- intellectual curiosity,
- exceptional academic ability,
- integrity in scholarship, service, and leadership,
- commitment to community, and
- respect for difference.
1. Everyone belongs to a community of some sort. As a member of your family, your class, your team, your neighborhood, or some other group, you will share some experiences with some, but not others. Tell us about a time where your connection to your community was strengthened by its differences instead of its similarities.
2. Share a story about yourself that provides some insight into the kind of person you are. For example, the story can relate a personal experience; an unusual test of character; your involvement in volunteer work or a humorous anecdote.
3. Describe a time you were able to do something better after a difficult start because of your connection to another person or group of people.
- 1. First Answer
- 2. Second Answer
Respond to the question posed below. Your response should not exceed 750 words.
Tell us about an idea you find fascinating. How has it changed you? You might choose a scientific theory, a piece of creative work, a social movement, a political dynamic, an ethical dilemma or a category that is not represented here. Any idea is on the table with this prompt. Just remember that whatever you choose to explore, you must help your readers understand both the concept and its' impact on your intellectual life.
Please upload your official transcript file in one of the following formats: Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx), Adobe (.pdf).
Please Note: Filename can only contain the following characters: a-z, A-Z, 0-9, ., _ (underscore), or - (dash)
We understand that any uploaded transcript is considered unofficial. For the purposes of our selection process, having the applicant upload the transcript file does not impact the legitimacy of the document.
Do not ask your high school to send a transcript to the University of Iowa in support of your scholarship application. Rather, we require that you upload the transcript document into the Iowa Scholarship Portal yourself. We ask that you save the file with the following identifying information in the title: First Name, Last Name, Phone Number (ex. John Doe 319-123-1234).