About the scholarship
KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm has grown to become one of Europe’s leading technical and engineering universities, as well as a key centre of intellectual talent and innovation. We are Sweden’s largest technical research and learning institution and home to students, researchers and faculty from around the world. Our research and education covers a wide area including natural sciences and all branches of engineering, as well as in architecture, industrial management, urban planning, history and philosophy.
The School of Information and Communication Technology conducts research and education at a leading international level in Electronics, Software and Computer Systems as well as in Communication Systems. The research activity encompasses both basic and applied level. The school offers a wide spectrum of educational programs at undergraduate, masters and doctoral level. The school of Information and Communication Technology fosters close collaboration with Swedish and international companies and research institutes as well as surrounding associations such as Kista Science City.
The goal of this project is to the enable cross-domain orchestration of services over multiple administrations or over multi-domain single administrations. Market fragmentation has resulted in a multitude of network operators, each focused on different countries and regions. This makes it difficult to create infrastructure services spanning multiple countries, such as virtual connectivity or compute resources, as no single operator has a footprint everywhere. This project aims at enabling collaboration between operators, regarding 5G infrastructure services, with the view of introducing unification via NFV/SDN compatible multi-domain orchestration. This will allow end-to-end network and service elements to mix in multi-vendor, heterogeneous technology/resource environments. Such 5G infrastructure services will provide a crucial role in making 5G happen, as they provide the foundation of all cloud and networking services. This project aims at enabling, through operator collaboration, a unified European infrastructure service market integrating multiple operators and technologies, where service provisioning is fast and automated and results in a stronger economy, via economies of scale.
The work of the Postdoctoral fellow will include software implementation, control plane design, and experiment on the testbed. The project involves close collaboration with PhD students and seniors in the group.
The candidate is expected to hold a Ph.D. degree and should have excellent software programming skills, deep understanding of network control based on SDN, experience in developing solutions for E2E SDN orchestration for multi-domain scenarios, experience in Software Development, Network Protocols, Virtual/Cloud Network Architectures, and virtualization technology. More specifically the following technical skills are required:
- Good knowledge of Linux-based environments
- Tools: git, svn, Jenkins
- Good knowledge of SDN and NFV concepts and architectures, with experimental experience on that (ONOS, ODL, Ryu, Mininet, OpenFlow knowledge is preferred)
- Experience on VirtualBox and knowledge of OpenStack
- Knowledge of ETSI/NFV paradigm
- Technical details and some implementation experience of network protocols, in particular OSPF, BGP, BGP-LS, PCEP, DHCP, REST, HTTP
- Knowledge of networking: IP addressing, network infrastructure design and basic knowledge on switching and routing configuration
- Experience on the realization of web pages
- Experience on testbed preparation
- Experience on running tests for software, with good predisposition to problem solving and bug fixing
Furthermore, a strong publication record in international journals and conferences is required. The candidates should have excellent skills in spoken and written English.
Apply to this position by e-mail to. You are the main responsible to ensure that your application is complete according to the ad. Your complete application must be received at KTH no later than 2017-03-31. Mark your application with reference number I-2016-1086.
The application must include the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter (detailing both your previous scientific work experience and your interest in this position)
- Research statement (max 2 pages)
- Publication record (pinpoint the most important papers and describe your contributions)
- Three references with their contact information
About the scholarship
Period: 1 year with possibility to renew for another year based on performance
Amount of scholarship: 24 000 SEK (scholarships are not liable to taxes)
Sandra Gustavsson Nylén, HR administrator
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: