Call for applications
We are happy to announce the Call for Applications for the PhD Support Programme “The EU, Central Asia and the Caucasus in the International System” (EUCACIS). The deadline for application is 16 May 2016. For information on the eligibility and the details of the application process please click here - http://www.cife.eu/en/4/call-for-applications_129-1.
Launch of the PhD Support Programme EUCACIS for students from Central Asia and the Caucasus
CIFE and the Institut für Europäische Politik (IEP) start the PhD Support Programme “The EU, Central Asia and the Caucasus in the International System“ (EUCACIS). Funded by the Volkswagen Foundation and the Erasmus+ Programme, it offers scholarships for three years to twelve excellent postgraduates who are working on a doctoral thesis in political science, contemporary history or economics on a topic of the programme’s focus at a university in the Southern Caucasus or Central Asia (including Afghanistan, the Kashmir region in India, and the autonomous region Xinjiang in China).
It is the objective of the EUCACIS programme to provide intensive PhD research training for its participants to bring them closer to international standards, to support them until they submit their doctoral theses, and to help them establish their own networks with other young researchers in the target regions and in Europe. This will be achieved through four international conferences (in Almaty, Berlin, Yerevan, and Bishkek); three PhD schools in Berlin, Yerevan and Istanbul; two research training stays; and continuous online coaching.
The programme is open for postgraduates who have started to work on a PhD or an equivalent degree at a Central Asian or South Caucasian university in the fields.
Call for applications
We are happy to announce the Call for Applications for the PhD Support Programme “The EU, Central Asia and the Caucasus in the International System” (EUCACIS).
Funded by the Volkswagen Foundation and the Erasmus+ programme, the EUCACIS PhD Support Programme offersscholarships of 300 Euro per month for three years and a travel grant of up to 500 Euro for field research to excellent postgraduates who are working on a doctoral thesis in political science, contemporary history or economics on a topic related to the programme’s thematic focus at a university or academy of sciences in the Southern Caucasus or the wider Central Asia (including Afghanistan, the Kashmir region in India, and the autonomous region Xinjiang in China).
In addition, the programme provides intensive PhD research training to coach its participants in international academic standards and helps them to establish their own networks with other young researchers. It offers (travel costs and accommodation are covered by the programme):
- four international conferences in Almaty, Berlin, Yerevan, and Bishkek;
- three PhD schools in Berlin, Yerevan, and Istanbul;
- one research training stay of three weeks for individual training, supervision and research in Berlin;
- mentoring by postdoctoral researchers for three years;
- continuous online coaching including courses on methodology in political science, economics and contemporary history.
Please find here the call for application as pdf for download - http://www.cife.eu/Ressources/FCK/image/EUCACIS/Application_form_EUCACIS.pdf.
If you are interested in applying for this programme, please carefully read all information about the programme,in particular about the eligibility of candidates and required documents for application. We are looking forward to your applications!
If you want to apply, please send your complete application via E-Mail to email@example.com. The application should be a single PDF file, not exceeding 10 MB.
Schedule of the Application Process
- 16 May 2016: Deadline for applications (earlier applications are welcome)
- June 2016: Skype-based interviews
- June-August 2016: Travel arrangements (and visa application if necessary) for applicants invited to the selection conference
- End of August 2016: Selection conference in Almaty
- filled in application form (pdf for download) - http://www.cife.eu/Ressources/FCK/image/EUCACIS/Application_form_EUCACIS.pdf;
- Curriculum Vitae (Europass welcome, available here);
- copies of all academic certificates obtained (original and translation into English);
- outline of the doctoral thesis in English (3,000 – 5,000 characters) including research question(s) and method(s);
- preliminary table of contents of the doctoral thesis in English;
- list of literature for the doctoral project;
- time schedule for the doctoral project until its completion, indicating its current state;
- enrolment certificate as a doctoral student of an institution in a target country (original and translation into English);
- letter of support of the doctoral supervisor;
- letter of reference (not from supervisor);
- previous academic work in English (seminar paper, essay, or equivalent);
- scan of passport or ID card;
- English language test certificates are welcome but not compulsory.
In the first round candidates will be pre-selected on the basis of the submitted documents.
For the second round applicants have to be available for Skype-based interviews during June 2016.
In the third round, selected applicants will be invited to the opening conference in Almaty (Kazakhstan) at the end of August 2016. Their performance, including language skills, during the conference discussions and the subsequently held individual interviews will serve as a reference for the decision of the selection committee. Travel costs and accommodation for the invited applicants will be covered by the EUCACIS PhD support programme. Other costs such as visa fees or health insurance cannot be covered. To organize their journeys, selected applicants have to be available by email in June, July and August 2016. Depending on the visa regulations of the Republic of Kazakhstan,selected applicants have to be available in July and August 2016 to obtain visa for their journey to Almaty.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: