Umeå University, Department of Computing Science
Umeå University is investing in research and development of expertise in the area of database systems as part of creating an infrastructure for federated research databases. As part of this effort, we are now recruiting a Ph D student. The position is at the Department of Computing Science.
We invite excellent candidates who are interested in privacy preservation in database systems to apply for this position. The successful candidate will join the recently funded project in Umeå University on academic federated database construction and privacy preservation on federated databases.
The general admission requirements for doctoral studies are an undergraduate degree and completed courses corresponding to at least 240 higher (ECTS) education credits, at least 60 of which were awarded in the second-cycle, or substantially equivalent knowledge otherwise acquired in Sweden or abroad.
To fulfill the specific entry requirements for doctoral studies in computing science the applicant is required to have completed courses at advanced level in computing science or another subject considered to be directly relevant for the specialization in question, equivalent to 60 ECTS credits.
In the selection of candidates particular emphasis will be put on the degree of experiences, skills and interests in the following areas:
- Significant interests in database systems, especially on heterogeneous database integration and privacy preservation in federated databases
- Programming proficiency in at least one object-oriented language and one script language (e.g., Java/Matlab/Python/Perl/C/C++)
- Ability and experience of applying open source software (Apache Tomcat, MySql, Lucene, Spark etc.)
Good skills in both spoken and written English are a requirement for the position.
Other desirable qualifications are:
- Experience of processing large data sets
- Experience of web service deployment under Windows/Linux
- Internal and international collaboration experience in academia/industry on database technology and privacy preservation or relevant disciplines
- Publications on database system, privacy preservation, data mining or relevant disciplines
Important personal abilities are coordination and organization skills as well as good communication skills.
Terms of employment
The position is aimed for PhD studies and research to be performed jointly with group members and collaboration partners, leading to a PhD degree. The position includes a competitive salary for a period of four years of research time. The doctoral student position is mainly devoted to postgraduate studies (at least 80% of the time), but may include up to 20% department service (usually teaching). If so, the total time for the position is extended accordingly (up to a maximum of five years). The employment will start on June 1, 2016, or as otherwise agreed.
Submitting your application
The application should be written in English or Swedish and contain:
- A personal letter including a description of your research interests, your reasons to apply for the position, and your contact information
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Copy of completed thesis (MSc and/or BSc) Copies of degree certificates, including documentation of completed academic courses and obtained grades
- Copies of original research publications, if any
- Documentation and description of software development experience
- Contact information for three persons willing to act as references
- Any other information relevant for the position
Applications must be submitted electronically using the e-recruitment system MyNetwork Pro, and be received no later than March 31, 2016. Reference number: AN 2.2.1-92-16. Log on to the system and apply via the button at the bottom of the web page.
Further information can be obtained from assistant professor Lili Jiang, (email: firstname.lastname@example.org ).
More about us
The Department of Computing Science is a dynamic environment with around ninety employees representing more than ten countries worldwide. We conduct education and research on a broad range of topics in Computing Science.
Umeå University is dedicated to providing creative environments for learning and work. We offer a wide variety of courses and programmes, world leading research, and excellent innovation and collaboration opportunities. More than 4 300 employees and 31 500 students have already chosen Umeå University. When recruiting, we aim to increase diversity and the opportunity of affirmative action. In particular, we encourage female applicants!
We kindly decline offers of recruitment and advertising help.
We look forward towards receiving your application!
|Type of employment||Temporary position longer than 6 months|
|Working hours||Full time|
|First day of employment||2016-06-01 or as otherwise agreed|
|Number of positions||1|
|Reference number||AN 2.2.1-92-16|
|Last application date||31.Mar.2016 11:59 PM CET|
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: