The International Max Planck Research School for Surface and Interface Engineering in Advanced Materials (IMPRS-SurMat) is a structured three-year doctoral programme that gives outstanding students from Germany and abroad the possibility to pursue a PhD. It provides a unique combination of excellent research conditions plus an intensive and interdisciplinary teaching program. The working language is English.
The research focuses on questions centered on surfaces and interfaces of advanced materials. In this context all projects within the IMPRS-SurMat are interdisciplinary - chemists, physicists, material scientists and engineers work together and the approach to the research topics can be experimental as well as theoretical by modelling and simulation.
Requirements for Admission
- an excellent master's degree in chemistry, physics, materials science, mechanical engineering or related subjects including a thesis
- a very good knowledge of the English language
How to apply
The instructions will guide you through the whole application process. We only consider applications that are sent through this application server. Applications via post or e-mail won’t be processed.
- Sign up and activate your account
- Make your entries
You will need the following documents as pdf files:
- all university degree certificates
- all university marksheets/transcripts
- certificates of additional qualifying exams, practical training or professional work experience, if appropriate
- proof of English proficiency (TOEFL or IELTS or equivalent information)
- Name your referees
During the application process you will be asked to enter at least two referees who are able to evaluate your personality and qualifications properly. These referees will be informed automatically by email how to enter the recommendation online. You won't be able to submit your application before at least two of your referees submitted their recommendation.
- Submit your application
Please take your time and perform the data entries carefully. Think of suitable referees in advance and inform them beforehand so that they are prepared and make sure, they have time to react within the given time frame.
You can stop and save the sessions in between. Only complete and submitted applications will be considered for further processing.