Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is pleased to announce its paid Internship Program. Interns gain practical work experience and support the work of our Communications, Development, Program, Human Resources (both for the field and the office), and Executive departments. Interns also gain a basic introduction to the field of international medical humanitarian aid and advocacy. All internships will take place in our New York office and will be paid at the rate of $10.00 per hour.
Type of position: Intern, paid
Time Commitment: 20 hrs/week
Duration: 3 months–4 months (depending on term)
Location: New York City
Objective: To support the Doctors Without Borders video team while gaining practical learning experience for an individual interested in video production and post-production for an international nonprofit organization.
Overview: The Communications Department of Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) works to expand awareness of humanitarian crises and endemic health problems that medical teams address around the world. Public awareness is built through: active and reactive presswork; publications produced in-house, including a quarterly newsletter and website content; pushing multimedia through social media; and public education activities such as interactive exhibits, speaking events, and film screenings.
The video intern will assist in all phases of the creation and promotion of MSF video content. This is a hands-on position, offering the opportunity to actively improve tools through which MSF communicates its messages. The ideal candidate will contribute creatively and technically to new and ongoing projects. An undergraduate or graduate student with proven technical ability in videography and video editing and an interest in film, journalism, non-profit communications, and/or international affairs would be best suited for this position.
Duties include some or all of the following based on current needs:
- In 2016, the video intern will provide support for a major 360 video/Virtual Reality project, including assistance with logging video, transcription, preparing files for translations and subtitling, organization and archiving of video files, and more as needed.
- In addition to ongoing 360/VR project support, the video intern will assist with shooting, editing, optimizing, and adding text to a variety of video projects, the majority of which will be interviews conducted in the New York office. There might also be the possibility of supporting video shoots outside the office during protests or demonstrations.
- Research and use of video from MSF’s international photo database.
- Cutting short clips for use on social media.
- Transcribing video interviews for publications and website.
- Organization and upkeep of A/V equipment, print publications, and digital files.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Demonstrable experience shooting and editing video: please submit 3–5 video clips and indicate what work you did on each one and when each was created.
- High level of proficiency with Final Cut Pro X.
- Experience with audio recording and audio editing software.
- High level of organization and responsibility.
- Familiarity with MSF and awareness of international issues related to global health (armed conflicts, refugees and displaced people, disease outbreaks, for example).
- Interest in and knowledge of how video is used and consumed on social media.
- Experience using DSLRs for video recording,
- Experience creating motion graphics,
- French and/or Spanish language skills.
For more information click "Further official information" below.