Young Explorers Grants (YEG) otter opportunities to individuals ages 18 to 25 to pursue research, conservation, and exploration-related projects consistent with National Geographic's existing grant programs, including: the Committee for Research and Exploration (CRE), the Expeditions Council (EC), and the Conservation Trust (CT). In addition, the YEG program recently teamed with the Luce Foundation to provide increased funding opportunities for fieldwork in 18 Northeast and Southeast Asian counties, including Brunei, Burma/Myanmar, Cambodia, China, East Timor. Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Mongolia. Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
The Young Explorers Grants Program supports a variety of projects—and an age-range of applicants—that are generally not covered by other sources of finding.
Applicants are not required to have advanced degrees. However, a record of prior experience in the fields of research, conservation, or exploration should be submitted as it pertains to the proposed project
Funding is not restricted to United States citizens—foreign nationals are invited to apply. Researchers planning work in countries abroad should make great effort to include at least one local collaborator as part of their team.
Obtaining an Application Form
Applying for a Young Explorers Grant is a two-step process.
First, you must submit a pre-application form online. If your pre-application is approved, you will be sent an email with a link and a password giving you access to our full application online.
Before you submit a pre-application, there are a few things you should take into consideration:
• The pre-application form can be completed in multiple sessions. You will be allowed to save your work and complete it at another time.
• You will be asked to upload an electronic copy of your curriculum vitae (CV) while completing the form. Instructions will be provided.
• Please make sure that your browser is configured to receive cookies.
• This system works best on Internet Explorer 5.5 and Netscape 6.0 or higher.
• If you have any questions about the online pre-application form, consult our Frequently Asked Questions.
• If you don't find the answer to your question, Please email the question to the fund you are applying to: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or council@ngs org Please remember to include Young Explorers Grant in the subject line. The Young Explorers Grants Program accepts pre-applications throughout the year. Please submit your pre-application at least eight months prior to your field dates, at least six months for the Expeditions Council. If your application is approved—a decision which takes about eight weeks—the relevant grant program will send you an email with a link to the full application online. The names of three academic or professional references and a curriculum vitae are to be included with the full application.