Minority Teacher Education Scholarship
Individuals who are selected for the MTES must:
- Be a resident of the State of Florida.
- Be a member of one of the following racial groups: African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, Asian American/Pacific Islander, or American Indian/Alaskan Native.
- Be newly admitted into a teacher education program at any of FFMT's participating universities/colleges.
- Be a junior and have not earned a baccalaureate degree in Education.
- Have earned 60 credit hours or an AA degree.
- Have not exceeded 18 hours of upper division education courses.
Each participating institution appoints a screening committee to review each application. The committee nominates candidates to FFMT’s administrative office, which announces its final selection each semester. Each new scholar will receive a congratulatory letter and a promissory note that must be signed and returned within 30 days of receipt. Scholars must keep a copy of the promissory note to refer to the terms and conditions of the scholarship. Scholars are selected on the basis of qualities that would indicate their potential to become good teachers. These qualities include writing ability, communication skills, overall academic performance, and evidence of commitment to the youth of America, preferably demonstrated through volunteer activities.
Special consideration is given to community college graduates.
The annual amount of the Minority Teacher Education Scholarship is $4,000.
Awards are only disbursed during the Fall and Spring semesters, in the amount of $2,000 per semester. Students may be eligible to receive the scholarship for up to two consecutive years.
For Fall Semester: July 1st
For Spring Semester: November 1st
Before you continue to the "Apply Now" link below, please read the statements below to be sure that you qualify. If you cannot say yes to each, then you will not qualify for the MTES and you should not continue to the application. If you have questions about these statements, please contact your Primary Contact. If you cannot reach your contact, please contact FFMT at (352) 392-9196.
- I am a resident of the State of Florida.
- I am a member of one of the following racial groups: African American/Black, Hispanic/Latino, Asian American/Pacific Islander, or American Indian/Alaskan Native.
- I am admitted/newly-admitted into a teacher education program at any of FFMT's participating universities/colleges.
- I am a junior at one of FFMT's participating universities/colleges.
- I have earned at least 60 credit hours or an AA degree.
- I have not exceeded 18 hours of upper division education courses.
Discuss how your life experiences have impacted you to go into the field of education. (100 - 300 words)