Melbourne International Research Scholarship
The Melbourne International Research Scholarships (MIRS) is awarded to international students wishing to undertake graduate research degree studies at the University of Melbourne.
The University awards over 150 scholarships per year.
The duration of the MIRS is up to two years for student undertaking a master by research degree and up to three years, with a possible six month extension, for students undertaking a doctorate by research degree.
The following benefits apply:
- in line with Australia Postgraduate Award:
- fortnightly living allowance;
- relocation grant for students moving to Melbourne from interstate or from outside Australia;
- thesis Allowance; and
- limited paid sick, maternity and parenting leave.
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) (single membership)
Current University of Melbourne students who are enrolled in a research degree for which they wish to receive a MIRS must apply through the Student Portal.
All other students must complete an Application for Admission to Graduate Research Degree Candidature and Scholarship
MIRS are awarded on the basis of academic merit. Eligible applicants are considered according to their:
- academic achievement in their last completed degree; and
- research potential in their field of study, taking into consideration factors relevant to the proposed research including professional experience, refereed publications, specialist medical qualifications or composition of original music.
The University assesses applications for scholarships on an ongoing basis. As a general rule:
- applications submitted before 31 October (Round 1) will be finalised by 15 February of the following year, and
- applications submitted before 31 May (Round 2) will be finalised by 31 July.
However, the following faculties have different or additional scholarship rounds:
For more detailed information, please refer to theGraduate Research Scholarships Terms and Conditions.
If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.