Max Planck Society Research Scholarships
The Max Planck Society grants scholarships of various amounts in line with the academic qualifications of the applicant:
- Doctoral scholarships for foreign doctoral students provide 1,365 EUR per month (as of 12/2012; subject to change),
- Post-doctoral scholarships for foreign post-doctoral researchers provide 2,100 EUR per month (as of 12/2012; subject to change), and
- Research scholarships for foreign professors provide 2,300 EUR per month (as of 12/2012; subject to change).
Travel expenses to and from Freiburg are not covered by the scholarship. The Max Planck Institute does not, as a rule, reimburse for travel expenses. If travel expenses are particularly high, we recommend that the applicant seek assistance from appropriate international organizations.
New regulation with respect to health insurance for doctoral/postdoctoral stipend holder
In future, the Notification Letter will contain a resolutive condition to ensure that the stipend holder’s health insurance cover is sufficient. In other words, all scholarship holders are to submit proof of statutory health insurance cover and/or private comprehensive health insurance cover as document substantiating payment, otherwise the stipend will be deemed not to have materialized.
For both German and foreign stipend holders, the certificate as referred to in § 257 Paragraph 2 a of Volume V of the Social Insurance Code (Sozialgesetzbuch V – SGB V) serves as a proof of sufficient private health insurance cover. If the stipend holder is insured with a statutory health insurance from an EU country (except for Germany), a confirmation that the insurance is also valid in Germany must be presented (the submission of a European health insurance card alone is not sufficient).
The following form must be filled out by all applicants and submitted with the application.
Please attach to your application copies of the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Publication list
- Research plan
- University transcript
- Doctoral diploma
- Marriage certificate (if applicable); Visum of husband or wife
- Birth certificate of your child/ren
- Residence permit
- Proof of health insurance
Applications should be submitted in timely fashion to:
Max-Planck-Institut für ausländisches
und internationales Strafrecht
– Stipendienstelle d. Verwaltung –
79100 Freiburg i. Br.